Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2012, 08:23 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Westward from Warrnambool
Lens: Sigma 10-20 Camera: K5 Photo Location: Warrnambool Vic. Australia ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/500s Aperture: F6.7 

Another from my favorite bit of coast. Criticism welcomed.

Attached Images

01-20-2012, 12:30 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
On my monitor this looks a bit washed out and in need of a boost, however it is an interesting piece of coastline which has a lot of potential.
01-20-2012, 01:19 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Bruce.
To be honest it appears to have lost a bit of intensity between my PC and the internet. That said, it certainly does need a boost, but I'm not sure how to do that given that Vibrance and Saturation are pretty well to the right and the further they go the greater the area of burnt out highlight on the water. Recovery was already applied to the max.
Thanks for your comments
Rod

ps It is a great area; the rock shelves in my previous post are at this same area at low tide.
01-20-2012, 01:45 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I agree with OP, looks washed out here too. Great shot though, a little post processing you'll have a master piece. Is that a person in yellow at top right around 1 oclock?

01-20-2012, 02:13 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks, lamented. Yes, it is a person in a yellow parka/shower jacket, hood on and back pack. Good pickup on your part. PP is the hard part, I might give it to my son to have a go!

Rod

ps Take a week off and have a look at the coast yourself. If you have never been that far south, you should!
01-20-2012, 02:27 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote

ps Take a week off and have a look at the coast yourself. If you have never been that far south, you should!
PP is not too hard play with it till it looks right and you feel good about it. Never really been to VIC Rod, unless you can count in mildura and wentworth, was at those locations many year ago ( oil well exploration). Was in SA for some time the closest I got was Murry Bridge. Lately I have been fantisizing about Melbourne, I reckon she would have a wonderfull skyline at night, maybe I do need a week off.
Its cheaper to fly to Melbourne then it is to Cairns
Cheers
Shane
01-29-2012, 06:52 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've been looking over your series of recent posts of images of the Victoria coastline. All are attractive images but this one stands out for two reasons: it has beautiful dramatic light and sky, and it has a sweeping composition that takes the eye from very close to the far horizon. The color rendering seems a bit unnaturally warm, but I don't mind it here -- it adds to the atmosphere.

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
To be honest it appears to have lost a bit of intensity between my PC and the internet.
Are you using sRGB to output the image? That's the best way to deal with the web, because it is the best match for browsers that aren't color-managed.

I suspect you've also lost some contrast due to lens flare. Looks like the sun is just out of the picture; in such cases some kind of lens shade can really help. This could be a hat or hand, if you are using a tripod (or have an assistant), or an attachment such as the Flare Buster.

If the burnt-out highlight is hindering you from adjusting other parts of the image, it's time for selective editing using Photoshop or some other app that allows this. Obviously the scene has a huge dynamic range, so this would have been a great time for exposure bracketing. Looks like you were using a polarizing filter?

01-29-2012, 09:22 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Could be just the way the sun's rays have caught the lens?
Anyway, I think it's ok & can relate to it, as I'm familiar with that part of the world, being in Port Fairy a week or so ago.
Cheers, Pickles.
01-29-2012, 10:26 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi

I know, some people don't like me doing this but when I see a picture with so much potential and all it needs is a bit of TLC to make it complete, I just can't help myself.

So here is my little tweak, all done in OLONEO with a bit of blue Hue and Luminance adjustment into the plus side and a very light Tone Mapping increase.

Maybe not perfect as 8Bit JPGs have limitations but I think it is on the right track. By the way, the whitish flatness in seascapes one can observe particularly in the distance like in this image is nothing else but very fine salty seaspray in the air. It's part of the deal and in no way a shortcoming attributable to either equipment or photographer.

Greetings

Last edited by Schraubstock; 09-16-2012 at 05:30 PM.
01-29-2012, 11:32 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi guys.
Thanks for your comments.
Lens shood was certainly fitted, but 10-20 Sigma into the sun was asking too much.
(Note to self; take wife with big sun hat for such occasions!)
I am slowly coming to grips with PP but have much too learn and this one was a bit hard.
Schraubstock, I'm not one to worry about your tweaking; the more the merrier. If you can demonstrate a bit more potential in an image, through PP, surely the image maker can only learn to wring out a bit more. Thanks again.