Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2012, 02:22 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Another Beauty/Fitness image
Lens: DA* 50-135 Camera: K5 Photo Location: Central Maine ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/500s Aperture: F4 

Finished in CS4, PhotoTools Pro 2.6, and AlienSkin Exposure 3.

Last edited by candgpics; 09-28-2012 at 07:11 PM.
01-27-2012, 02:47 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not bad overall, but the colors seem a bit flat and I don't think she fills enough of the frame. The shadow and lighting coming from the left is nice, but I would like to see more contrast.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-27-2012, 07:19 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I shall try to comment kindly. [My first reaction was to cry, MY EYES! MY EYES!] I have no problem with the composition structure. BUT... The subject is not lit well -- turning to her right for more texture modeling would help, as would supplemental lighting, frontal fill-flash. The colors are not flattering, to say the least. Color temperature of subject and foreground seems a bit too cold, while the background colors are just bilious.

I hope she hasn't seen this. She might not be anxious to let you shoot her again.
01-27-2012, 08:59 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi

I was just going to answer this post when I saw RioRico's assessment and to save time I may just copy his words to reflect my take of the image .

Quote:
I shall try to comment kindly. [My first reaction was to cry, MY EYES! MY EYES!] I have no problem with the composition structure. BUT... The subject is not lit well -- turning to her right for more texture modeling would help, as would supplemental lighting, frontal fill-flash. The colors are not flattering, to say the least. Color temperature of subject and foreground seems a bit too cold, while the background colors are just bilious.

I hope she hasn't seen this. She might not be anxious to let you shoot her again.
End of quote:

The only difference in my assessment: I do have a bit of a problem with the composition structure. (Sorry for this Rico)

Greetings

01-27-2012, 09:09 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I will limit my comment the the feeling she needs to wash her face, in this and other images. Sorry.
01-27-2012, 10:13 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
I will limit my comment the the feeling she needs to wash her face, in this and other images. Sorry.
And her chest! Also very sorry.

P.S.
I am quite a nice bloke, if I had any friends they could confirm this.
01-27-2012, 11:26 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK:
I will limit my comment the the feeling she needs to wash her face
And her chest!
IMHO that's shadow, not dirt. Fill light is desperately needed.

01-27-2012, 11:48 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
IMHO that's shadow, not dirt. Fill light is desperately needed.

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
she needs to wash her face
1)...she needs to wash her face.. was said in jest I believe

2)...and her chest! - was definitely sad in jest

Greetings
01-28-2012, 04:08 AM   #9
Veteran Member

First the good. I really like the look of the water.

But why why why why oh why must people use these gimmicky borders? I'm not even bothered by the lack of fill light. But that border is godawful. Sorry to be harsh, but it looks like something a $200 wedding photographer did in Picnik.
01-28-2012, 11:40 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hi all:

Thanks so much for the comments. A few thoughts.

These images were taken in a bit of a rush and I did not deal with the sunlight well, in part because I was moving so quickly I did not figure out how to balance the great, but strong light from the sun.

Re the finishing of the model's skin. That is her skin. Perhaps I should have evened things out a bit more, but she has a natural "ripped" kind of look to her skin that is common among fitness models who diet down. That can be countered with heavy Photoshop, and perhaps I could have done a bit more, but that is not my style and the effect I try for. She has great conditioning and that is what I was trying to show. I often see fitness models with heavy retouching done and it is not the look I like. I prefer a more natural, somewhat gritty look.

Re the borders, I must repespectfully disagree. I use PhotoFrame 4 from OnOne, and ocassionally will make my own in CS5. Most of the borders I do not use since I think they look a bit "cheesy," but there are a few I commonly use. I know some people do not like the look.

There is a book I recently purchased, "Classic Africa." Amazing pictures, really stunning, and the photographer used similar rough/torn borders, though a bit more muted. A reviewer of the book, commented that the borders had a inexpensive/amateur look to them, while others loved everything about the pictures. I tend to prefer a vignette or a "torn" border, but sometimes do wihtout one. So, this is a matter of taste. If done well, and perhaps it did not work here, I think they can add to a picture.

Right now I am just working on technique and trying to get better. Shooting outdoors tends to push my limits since I do not do it that often, though I have done a few outdoor shoots this past year--usually shooting in a (home) studio; so, I do need to improve things. Having said that, the model (Sara) really liked this image, as well as the other one I posted of her that uses the same location. And, she is not shy, so I am confident she really liked the image. Of course, I want to make images people love, so I will continue to work on my outdoor lighting skills. Hopefully, my next outdoor location shoot will involve less of a rush, so I will have more time to get a few of the details right.

Anyway, thanks so much again.
01-28-2012, 04:03 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Just as an aside I also really like the texture of the sand. I think that part looks very good.
02-13-2012, 09:27 PM   #12

question, is this a comp? it looks like it... that water just doesnt fit... it looks like a photo of water taken right from near the surface, with a fairly wide lens. because of how the 'reflection' and ripples seem to get bigger and bigger. then all of a sudden, a razor-sharp line defining the rocky area... if it is an actual place and not a comp, it'd be pretty interesting to look at - the water just doesn't seem like it would end. but my initial reaction was "comp." as it just doesn't look real.

everything else about the lighting, comp etc has already been said though.
02-14-2012, 01:51 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by imaspy Quote
but my initial reaction was "comp." as it just doesn't look real.
Now that you mention this, golly, I think you are right

Greetings
02-14-2012, 06:22 PM   #14

I may be "off base" in this, but to me at least, the beach / sand / ground that the model is standing on seems too busy and draws attention from the model to the surface of the sand. If possible, I think I would have selected a place where the sand was smooth or I would have smoothed the sand to keep it from vieing for attention with the model.
02-14-2012, 06:50 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I am absolutely lost as to why this thread keeps reappearing. Almost nothing in this picture works. It doesn't flatter the model and it generally gives the impression that we've morphed to another planet. Now if that seems rude, I apologise. I've seen some of your other shots and think that you really nailed a few of them. It's a particular style. But this one leaves me cold for all the reasons other posters have mentioned.