Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-11-2012, 06:14 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Martial Arts/Fitness Images
Lens: DA*55 Camera: K5 and K7 Photo Location: Central Maine, USA ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/125s Aperture: F9.5 

These were shot at a slight mix of apertures from f/8 to approximately f/9.5. Finished in CS5 and OnOne Phototools Professional 2.6 and AlienSkin Expsoure 3. Rebecca is in termedous shape. She is a 42 year old 4th degree black belt.

More to come.

I shot at 1/125 and used an Einstein Flash, which I have only had for a few months. It is a great flash. Really good at stopping the action given its fast flash rates.

Ok, now hit me, but I really do like these, so I hope you do, too!!!

Last edited by candgpics; 09-28-2012 at 07:11 PM.
02-12-2012, 04:22 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
I like the images. Dis you use in camera monochrome feature or was totally PP?

That lady's ripped abs scare me.......
02-12-2012, 10:37 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
These are some fine images, indeed. Your friend is definitely in good shape.

The last image is definitely my favorite. I love the motion.

As a general comment for all the photos, however, I will say that I find the border treatment to be distracting and it takes away from the strength of each image.
02-12-2012, 12:47 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hi:

Thank you for the comments.

I shot in RAW and did all post in CS5 and using the plug-ins. I always shoot in RAW.

Regarding the borders, I usually add a border to all of my images. This issue has come up before by a few other PentaxForums members. I will remember to ask the models what they think and see if I should change my habit.

Thank you again.

02-12-2012, 03:24 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lawjbm Quote
Hi:

Thank you for the comments.

I shot in RAW and did all post in CS5 and using the plug-ins. I always shoot in RAW.

Regarding the borders, I usually add a border to all of my images. This issue has come up before by a few other PentaxForums members. I will remember to ask the models what they think and see if I should change my habit.

Thank you again.
All three of these are wonderful images. I am super jealous. And your model is an incredible specimen of humanity. I can't even imaging the level of discipline and commitment she must have.

As far as the borders are concerned, I don't think the fact that you have created nice borders is a bad thing in and of itself. I think the problem is that there is not much space around the subjects in the photos, so the which border is very close to the lady. That may be distracting to some people.

I have 2 pieces of constructive feedback: in the second photo, the brightest point in the image (i.e. the point that draws the eye to it) is her abs. I would be curious to see the levels on her abs brought down, and the levels on her face brought up. I think the most interesting part of almost any portait is the eyes of the subject.

The third photo was shot from the brighter side of your model. Due to the level of contrast, the shadow side falls off, and is not as compelling. With a single source lighting setup, the results from shooting on the shadow side, as in your second image, are more compelling to me. When shooting on the bright side, I think it might help to bounce some fill light onto the subject.

Congrats on some great images. Will they be published?
02-14-2012, 07:07 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hi:

Thnks so much for your comments.

Fuent104: you correctly noted it was a one light shoot for the most part.

On the first shot I did do some levels/brightening of Rebecca's face to even things out as one side of her face was much darker. I did nothng else to Rebecca, apart from the black and white effect I used and some levels and overall moderate sharpening. Nothing else, though. I really tried to keep it natural and maintain a slightly gritty feel.

On the second shot, I did work to bring down the brightness of her abs as much as I could. The lighting on those series of shots blew out her abs a bit. This was one of the best ones I could work with.

These are not for publication, but might be used for some advertising of her and her husband's dojo/gym.

Thanks again for your comments.
02-14-2012, 08:30 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think the second shot is absolutely wonderful. Captures both the feminine and the strength. Love the rope shot too. These really work.

02-15-2012, 02:05 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks so much Jessesdad. I appreciate the comments.
02-25-2012, 08:57 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ah, I commented on another photo of yours of this same woman doing martial arts. There I said the abs are a bit too dark, but here I think they are great, especially in image #2. The kicking photo is also nice, but I would have to say I think the best one is the one with the ropes, I would just maybe go without such a strong border, just a consideration. But the editing/lighting is great, the viewer just gets to see enough to understand the context, but not so much that it would distract. I also like that the viewer can see all the texture, on the ropes, the mat, the skin.
02-25-2012, 10:45 AM   #10
Forum Member

I'm impressed, first of all. Second though I was also distracted by the borders bleeding into her feet. I love the rope image also but the color temperature (tones?) between her body and the rope made me double-take...
03-27-2012, 04:13 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Last one a special pic, but they all very good ;-)