Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-02-2008, 11:51 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
New to forum

I would love to know what you think of my photos and some advice on how to improve my tecnique. I mainly use the 170-500 lens for sports photography. The second photo is of my son jumping on a trampoline.
The first and third photos were taken with Sigma 170-500mm lens and the second pentax 18-55mm lens all were taken with a pentax k10d.

Last edited by Julie_B; 01-20-2008 at 11:59 PM.
01-03-2008, 01:49 AM   #2
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
OK, nice shots.
1st one would be good IMO but you cropped first boys feet off! Try to keep them in frame with this kind of pic, otherwise it's nice pic...and I like the BW conversion
2nd is not my style of pic so I can't really comment on it...
3rd would be my favourite but: the girl is right in the middle of the frame. Rule of thirds would've worked great in here. Positioning her closer to the right side of the frame would work bit better for me...
01-03-2008, 07:29 AM   #3
Veteran Member

First off, welcome aboard!

I agree with Axl about the feet in the first shot. Also, the beauty of a telephoto lens is that it compresses distance. you might even have been able to get them at a smaller angle.

I like the second shot! It shows action and emotion, and is very crisp. My only suggestion would be to include more of your son in the shot, his legs have to be doing something!

I think the third shot could use another angle in addition to the rule of thirds. Maybe perpendicular to the girl and have her in either the left or right third.
01-03-2008, 09:56 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I think the second picture is a marvelous shot. I don't agree that the feet have to be doing something or that they have to be in the picture at all but we all have differing opinions.

Presumably you're standing below the subject and have found-out how difficult this type of shot is.

Welcome to the forum Julie.

01-03-2008, 06:58 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forum. It is a great place to look at great examples of photography. You best picture of this group is the 1st due to the candid nature and the B&W. I would try to adjust the contrast a little more on that picture (and yes, get the feet).
01-04-2008, 04:49 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thank you all for your comments, they were great, and very helpfull. I look forward to posting more photos here in the future.