Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2012, 01:21 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
over-processed?
Lens: DA40 Camera: K100D Photo Location: Picardie (France) ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/180s Aperture: F5.6 

I use Silver Efex Pro for B&W conversion. It is very easy to get carried away in the process. Is this one over-done? Thank you for your input.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K100D  Photo 
02-19-2012, 04:03 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like your image a lot.
It conveys the anger and strength of the ocean.
The detail in the rocks is excellent as are the clouds.

I too use Silver Efex for B&W conversion and find that sometimes it can over process images.
If I have one issue with your image it would be the horizon. I sometimes have to go back (in LR or Elements) and declarify/soften the edges. But that is just me.
02-19-2012, 04:23 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks you Jools for your nice comments. As for the horizon, it is dented because of waves. You can see this on this 100% extract. More worrying is its darker edge, which could be due to the processing because it is less obvious on the colour version. However, the clouds far away could also account for a darker area near the horizon.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K100D  Photo 
02-19-2012, 05:30 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Fair enough.
And I see it. I thought it was from processing.
I think then you have a fine image. Much to my liking.

02-19-2012, 06:59 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm pretty sure Jools is correct that the darkened horizon line is at least partly due to the processing. This is a common issue with any kind of processing where you are dealing with the transition from bright sky to darker whatever. And even if Jools and I are wrong and it is entirely natural, it looks like the result of processing. Whether or not this is a negative is a matter of taste.

To me the beach cobbles are less important than the waves and sky, so I find the very high contrast on the cobbles to be a little much -- it draws too much attention. Again, may be an accurate record of the light that day, but that wouldn't stop me from adjusting it to taste.
02-19-2012, 07:30 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thank you baro-nite. Here is another version you might like better. I realised I had made numerous adjustments to the image in LR3 (graduated filters...) before converting it to B&W. This might have done more bad than good. This one was only adjusted in LR3 after conversion.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K100D  Photo 

Last edited by fg-one; 02-19-2012 at 07:37 AM.
02-19-2012, 08:28 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That does address both the horizon line and the cobbles. Again, all a question of taste and what you want to emphasize; here's my unsubtle take on punching up the waves and clouds:

Name:  118426d1329661440-black-white-over-processed-imgp7221-2_1.jpg
Views: 781
Size:  282.9 KB

I isolated the sky, beach, and horizon line with simple gradient masks and gave each section its own curve adjustment. Topped it off with a mild vignette.

02-19-2012, 08:39 AM   #8

Original Poster
The weakness of my second version was that the waves had lost a bit of contrast. You have nicely addressed this. I'll try to reproduce your changes before sending the image to print. Many thanks.
02-19-2012, 01:30 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I find the bright sky pulls attention away from the waves, which to me are where the focus should go. Your brightest waves are between 230-240 and and the sky is closer to 250.

I'd try to reverse that, if it was me, but this is all down to personal preference. A very nice image either way.

Edit: I added a quick and sloppy edit to that effect for consideration. A more careful curves adjustment in the waves would have preserved the contrast in the waves.
Attached Images

Last edited by grainbelt; 02-19-2012 at 01:39 PM.
02-19-2012, 02:03 PM   #10

Original Poster
Thank you grainbelt. The waves are nicer in your version but the dark line on the horizon has reappeared and the pebbles are much like how they were in my first version. The idea of darkening the sky is good but I don't really know how to do it with LR3 without darkening the clouds too much. I'll try it with Silver Efex.
02-19-2012, 02:33 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I like your first version the most, the balance is the best in that one
02-19-2012, 02:44 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I like first (with new horizon) or Baro's version. (But I like high contrast images, so am a little biased with BW.)

I like to put the images side by side and flip back and forth to decide. But probably go for Baro's as the #1. (Didn't do the flip flop though.)

Grain's version is a little too burt out in the highlights for me. (As he mentioned.)

I'm just getting started scanning and learning about Lightroom. (As of yesterday, did first scans.)

What does your Silver Efex program do that Lightroom wont?

Do you think Silver Efex would be an added help to my digitizing BW negs?

I also got a copy of Photoshop Elements 9, but have not tried it. I'm not into crazy mods. just like good BW and possible grain mod, but not often.

So is Lightroom and Elements enough or should I go for more software?

Thanks!

Last edited by slackercruster; 02-19-2012 at 02:55 PM.
02-19-2012, 11:30 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slackercruster Quote
But probably go for Baro's as the #1.
What does your Silver Efex program do that Lightroom wont?
Do you think Silver Efex would be an added help to my digitizing BW negs?
So is Lightroom and Elements enough or should I go for more software?
I agree about baro-nite's version. Silver Efex has many easy presets, filters and film-like modes and it allows very fine adjustments of structure, contrast and exposure. I don't think you can get the same with LR. That is, for B&W conversion from colour pics. As for negative scans, I am not sure SE is more suited than LR for adjustments. I would tend to think that what SE does has already been done on the film but I'm no expert with this. You would find better answers in the processing section of this forum. Anyway, thank you for your comments on my image.
02-25-2012, 08:43 AM   #14
Veteran Member

The stone beach in the first picture is too busy, too clear, or too bright, I am not sure. The one you posted next is much better in that regard. A magnificent shot, good job. Just watch out as too many little things in an image can be a little overwhelming for some people. In the first image my eyes keep darting around the little rocks and I can't appreciate the rest of the image. This doesn't happen with the second image.
03-06-2012, 04:19 AM   #15

in general i like it

maybe the horizont is a little bit overdone imo
looks as if there is some land to be seen

just for a try
i would lighten up or even eliminate the clouds - maybe it concentrates the view more on the wave
« Hind | My crosses »