Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2012, 11:19 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Scrap metal
Lens: CPC 28mm 2.8 macro Camera: KX Photo Location: KY woods ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/60s Aperture: F5.6 

Name:  2012 winter Feb 204 b.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  189.9 KB

02-20-2012, 04:31 AM   #2
smf
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for posting this.

You might try increasing the contrast a bit.
02-20-2012, 05:41 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Promising shot of a worthy subject. Looks like you had to deal with the challenges of dim and flat light, and a busy uninteresting background. On-camera flash solves the problem of dimness, but not of flat light -- getting the flash away from the camera greatly increases the possibilities. Of course that involves more gear and more fuss, which I'm just learning about myself. Lacking that, a tripod to allow a long exposure would another way to deal with the dim light, and would avoid the problem of light fall-off from having the light source (the flash) so close to the subject (the right side of the car and especially the roof is brighter and flatter, which is distracting).

I think this subject would work best either with the whole car in view or with a tighter focus on particular details. Right now I find the perspective too in-between -- suggestive of the whole but looking a bit too cropped.
02-20-2012, 10:23 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all the replies.Would like to have had the whole car in the picture but the 28mm was the only lens with me and was blocked by trees to step back.Did use the on camera flash to get a little light inside the car.Will take the long walk back to the Buick later.
Thanks,
Jake

02-20-2012, 12:01 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
I think this subject would work best either with the whole car in view or with a tighter focus on particular details. Right now I find the perspective too in-between -- suggestive of the whole but looking a bit too cropped.
Best advise thus far. Either get in there and get the details, or step further back and show the car in its current environment. A great subject to have on hand.
02-20-2012, 12:57 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The only lens I have shorter than the 28 is the 18-55,will try it the next time I walk that way.
Thanks,
Jake
02-21-2012, 07:56 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bjake Quote
The only lens I have shorter than the 28 is the 18-55,will try it the next time I walk that way.
Thanks,
Jake
If you have Photoshop you might want to try combining a couple of shots in 'Panoama'.

Tuggie76

02-21-2012, 08:09 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'd love to come across an opportunity like this. I love abstracts and see a lot of possibilities here. I don't like the the use of flash as it introduces harsh shadows. To get the details inside and out I would have bracketed the shots for an HDR. I know some people don't like them but they can be subtle as well as harsh and this type of subject is a perfect candidate for it anyway. As I mentioned on another of your photos a lower perspective might have been better. This is definitely would revisiting. I know if I came across this I'd have taken dozens of shots.
Regards
Greg
02-21-2012, 09:51 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Did take a lot of shots,liked this one best HDR is beyond my limits of editing.Walking back to the Buick today,won't be able to carry tripod or extra flash as it's a pretty hard walk for me.Don't know what the light will be as heavy broken clouds are passing.
Thanks,
Jake
02-28-2012, 11:10 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I like the old Buick in the woods.
02-29-2012, 09:46 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the comment.
Jake
« Lips | knob »