02-20-2012, 04:58 PM   #1

Fisheye shots - Bower 8mm
Lens: Bower 8mm Camera: Pentax K-X Photo Location: Maroma Beach 

Appreciate your comments

Attached Images

02-21-2012, 07:27 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hello. I'll comment since no one else has. Offering my opinion and don't mean to offend, here goes. A wide angle fisheye will certainly give a dramatic view but need to be used in a deliberate way and you have to ask yourself if the image would benefit from using it or would another lens be more appropriate. Photos 1 & 2, the main element isn't in focus but the background is . Aesthetically the third photo has potential and is probably a good candidate for a fisheye lens. The framing could be better and of course the black line (camera strap ?) shouldn't be there. Number four; I can't get past the very dirty sensor and the heavy slant to the horizon. The last one is again one that has potential for this lens but again the foreground water is out of focus and again the dirty sensor is evident in the sky area. Again I'm not looking to offend but just giving my honest opinion.
Regards
Greg
02-21-2012, 10:38 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thank you for your comments. Appreciate it.
02-21-2012, 01:36 PM   #4
smf
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do something about the horizon tilt in 4 and, in my humble opinion, I think you have a winner.

I'd reshoot the third photo to eliminate camera strap (or whatever that is.)

I agree with the observation about out-of-focus foreground objects in the first and second photos.

Welcome to the forum, best wishes, and I hope to see more of your photos.

02-21-2012, 05:02 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I like your creative vision, that's the part that some photographers NEVER learn. I have very little experience myself and I find going out and screwing half my shots up more educational than getting them right without understanding what I did.
When on a beach don't be afraid to cheat, I collect any interesting bits of crap I find and add them to a shot when I find the right place (just add water so they blend into the sand).
I get a kick out of the first one, simply because the way the it was edited made it look like a frozen winter scene at first and the person is holding their arms like they are cold, I couldn't figure out why that woman was wearing shorts on a cold snow covered beach.
The line from one sailboat across the other is a bit odd, is that a sensor glitch? I will sometimes get odd ones like that on rare occasions and have to retake a shot.
If those black dots really are sensor crud the dust shaker won't remove, research safe cleaning a ton before you do it.
O and get a good quality coated filter that doesn't change the image, its good for shots like number 4 where spray magically finds the lens every damn time (see top center) and is a joy to clean off expensive optics after (ask me how I know this) much better to be cleaning salt water off a filter and you can take it off when the water is a safe distance away.

EDIT: the sensor glitch and the camera strap are the types of errors that make me chimp all to hell when out shooting (CHeck IMage Preview) or something to that effect. Its good to see what you are doing while you are still there.

Last edited by PPPPPP42; 02-21-2012 at 05:08 PM.