Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2012, 07:25 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Rugby Photos
Lens: Sigma 70-200 HSM 2.8 Camera: Pentax K-7 Photo Location: Haverfordwest, Pembrokeshire, WALES ISO: 800 Shutter Speed: 1/500s Aperture: F4 

Hello!

Here's a few pics from a local derby rugby match in Pembrokeshire. Both shots were full manual mode and the EXIF is slightly different - the second photo (kicker) was f/3.5 and not f/4, otherwise it's the same.

The weather was pretty dull and overcast and I don't like pushing the ISO much above 1000 (1600 max) with the K-7. Oh, I dream for a K-5...!

All comments greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Matthew.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
03-01-2012, 01:06 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Both are very good images, slight improvements would be a less tilghter crop on the first, it would be nice to see the two players supporting and lifting there team mate up. I like the second one a lot, just a shame there is no ball in shot, I think that would improve it.
03-02-2012, 03:56 AM   #3
smf
Pentaxian

Well done.
I think the first photo's cropping is good. (I assume there's a reason for excluding the supporting teammates' legs. And even if there wasn't any other reason, the tight crop gives us a better view of the faces.)
Best wishes,
Stu
03-06-2012, 08:10 AM   #4
Veteran Member

nice action shots. Never tried sports photography but these look pretty good to my untrained eye (also being a big Rugby fan they appeal to me)!

03-06-2012, 08:31 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Both are pretty good IMO. The crop in #1 could've included the jumpers hand, but do not distract from the focus point of the players, the ball.

From the position of the kicker in #2, I believe the ball would've already been a few meters away, and a wider crop would've detracted from the focus point which I see as the expression on the kickers face. If the shot was taken a split second sooner, you might've had the ball in the shot, but the kicker would've been looking down, and the expression on his face would've been lost.