Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2012, 01:19 PM   #1

Buttons
Lens: DA 18 - 55 Camera: k-7 

Decent shot of my cat. Just wanted to see what you guys thought of composition, colors, anything else. New 28mm comes in Monday, cannot wait to shoot with it.

03-03-2012, 02:14 PM   #2
Veteran Member

The background is slightly distracting and cluttered, also it is shot against a bright background resulting in the cat being underexposed.
03-03-2012, 02:25 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
The cat seems to have a nicely coloured fur. Unfortunately, the lighting conditions don't render it well. The blown up areas on the right are not attractive. If you had swapped position with the cat, you would have probably got a better image. Easier said than done but try to catch her under more flattering light next time.
03-03-2012, 05:16 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
This is one of those situations where you would have benefited from judicious use of fill flash. The cat is simply underexposed, as others have mentioned.

Composition wise, the cat is placed nicely in the frame, but the background is rather distracting.

03-04-2012, 02:50 AM   #5
smf
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum.

I enjoy the photo.

I'm uncertain what aperture you used. Perhaps the point of sharpest focus is the cat's whiskers or nose, and I'd prefer that it be the eyes. I think I'd prefer sharper focus on the rest of the cat, also.

Best wishes,
Stu

Last edited by smf; 03-04-2012 at 02:51 AM. Reason: type
03-04-2012, 06:13 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Cat looks out of focus, photo is a bit dark. Perhaps a larger DOF.

However, I DO really like the composition in having the cat ABOVE the camera eye level and having to look UP at him/her. That is really nice.

It's a pity he/she wouldn't LOOK at the camera at that point as well.

Unfortunately, most cats ignore posing instructions.
03-04-2012, 09:19 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thank you for the response guys. She is a rather skittish cat so being able to get this close was an act of god. I agree with the cluttered background, but I also thought it added to the in home cozy feel of the "pet" atmosphere. I am in the process of looking for an off flash so that problem will be solved soon enough. I appreciate the comments. Thank you guys.