Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-08-2012, 10:01 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Torrey Pines - Wasteland
Lens: DA 14mm f/2.8 Camera: K-5 Photo Location: San Diego - Torrey Pines ISO: 80 Shutter Speed: 1/90s Aperture: F11 

Here is a sand stone mound at Torrey Pines on a hike I went on this weekend.
What do you guys think?

03-08-2012, 10:19 AM   #2
Veteran Member

A beautiful image, love the texture of the wood on the dead tree and the color in the rock is very nice.
03-08-2012, 11:53 AM   #3
smf
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I agree, but I wonder what's unseen at the top of the frame.
03-08-2012, 12:03 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by smf Quote
I agree, but I wonder what's unseen at the top of the frame.
Yes, I agree, clipping the top off the mound sucks. I was like 2 inches off the ground looking up.
This is an instance where a swivaling rear LCD wouldve been golden :S

03-08-2012, 12:35 PM   #5
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Use the live view. The image would have improved greatly with a wider view though the lot at the bottom is a little too cluttered for my liking.
03-08-2012, 12:37 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm not sure if it is oversaturation, white balance, or just a Cali thing but your sky is turning green on the right side the frame.
03-09-2012, 04:03 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi

I want to make one thing clear from the beginning, I was not on location and I don't know this particular spot. But I can't help thinking the image is not right. The red spotted areas in the sandstone look over saturated to the point where it looks completely unnatural. I feel safe saying this because there are some dry leafs on the dry branches in the foreground and they have turned red because the red channel has been cranked up too much.

Finally, it is a very nice shot but it could be better in my opinion. I think the big lump of tree trunk in the foreground is perhaps a wee bit overwhelming. I think you ought to have made up your mind what was more important, the cliffs in the back or the dead tree. With a slightly different angle it could have been possible to use some of the tree as a foreground "filler" and concentrate on the cliff, or the other way around use the whole of the tree as the main subject with the cliff out of focus as a backdrop. When I go about shooting something like this I take several versions of the motive from all sorts of angles and then decide later. In landscape photography you often have plenty of time to do this. (Unless you are in a group tour) It is important to understand as a photographer; When you are on location everything looks and feels quite a lot different in real nature from when you look at a two dimensional representation of this on your computer screen.

Even though there are a few things not quite right you have a very nice picture here. I am not just saying this to be polite. But I think you got a bit carried away in PP. Often these sort of motives don't really need a lot of help in PP they can, when properly exposed , live on their own quite well. Lots of people are blown away by the strong colours nature has provided for their photographs and think to make them stronger won't hurt because then they really make an impact. - O.k., but you need to be mindful and recognise when to stop.

Also please consider to give your sensor a bit of a clean.

Greetings

03-09-2012, 09:23 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Hi

I want to make one thing clear from the beginning, I was not on location and I don't know this particular spot. But I can't help thinking the image is not right. The red spotted areas in the sandstone look over saturated to the point where it looks completely unnatural. I feel safe saying this because there are some dry leafs on the dry branches in the foreground and they have turned red because the red channel has been cranked up too much.

Finally, it is a very nice shot but it could be better in my opinion. I think the big lump of tree trunk in the foreground is perhaps a wee bit overwhelming. I think you ought to have made up your mind what was more important, the cliffs in the back or the dead tree. With a slightly different angle it could have been possible to use some of the tree as a foreground "filler" and concentrate on the cliff, or the other way around use the whole of the tree as the main subject with the cliff out of focus as a backdrop. When I go about shooting something like this I take several versions of the motive from all sorts of angles and then decide later. In landscape photography you often have plenty of time to do this. (Unless you are in a group tour) It is important to understand as a photographer; When you are on location everything looks and feels quite a lot different in real nature from when you look at a two dimensional representation of this on your computer screen.

Even though there are a few things not quite right you have a very nice picture here. I am not just saying this to be polite. But I think you got a bit carried away in PP. Often these sort of motives don't really need a lot of help in PP they can, when properly exposed , live on their own quite well. Lots of people are blown away by the strong colours nature has provided for their photographs and think to make them stronger won't hurt because then they really make an impact. - O.k., but you need to be mindful and recognise when to stop.

Also please consider to give your sensor a bit of a clean.

Greetings
Thanks for the time you spent giving me your honest opinion, and for the tips, that was really helpful