Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2012, 12:32 PM   #1

Alberta Terminal in B&W
Lens: Vivitar 28 mm 1:2.0 Camera: *ist DL Photo Location: Alberta Terminal Building in Edmonton, AB ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: >6s 

Hello All,
This is my first request for critique. This image was made last night at the Alberta Terminals Building in Edmonton, AB.
I left the house with the intent to use only one lens and to shoot for black & white.
The way the lights from the terminal illuminated one side of the branches on the tree really drew me to this spot. I included the building for context for the source of the light. The exposure time was 10 seconds and I think this shot was at f/8.
I quite like the lightness of the tree against the dark sky on the upper part of the image and how it plays against the darkness of the branches on the lighter cloudy sky near the bottom. The blown out lights in the window bother me a tad, and I regret not bracketing which would have allowed me to keep that detail. The composition was also a little bit of a question. I wanted the building to be closer to the point at which the horizontal and vertical 1/3 lines cross; however, when I tried that, I lost the trunk of the tree on the right (which I decided was more important).
I would love to hear what you think, and where improvements could have been made shooting or in post.
Thanks!
Dave

03-12-2012, 05:28 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I kind of like the picture.. To me at first it was a bit to dark, but after looking at it some time I concluded all the details necessary are completely there. Less dark would mean less detail and less spacial (3d) feel. I understand what you try to say about blown out lights, but consider they strengthen the contrast between natural (the tree) and artificial (building) in your picture. A bit more of the building would have been nice.. i.m.h.o.
regards, Margriet
03-12-2012, 11:32 AM   #3

Original Poster
Hi Margriet, thank you for the comments!
I had not considered the natural-artificial relationship between the tree and building before, and I think you are right about those points strengthening that contrast.
The more I look at the image, the more I agree with your comment about seeing more of the building. I don't think cropping the image will accomplish this, because too much of the important part of the tree would be lost. If the opportunity arises, I will try a shot again from this location and attempt to better balance the tree and building.
Thanks again,
Dave