Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2012, 07:36 PM   #1
Veteran Member

First attempt at portraiture
Lens: A 50mm f1.7 Camera: K-x Aperture: F2.8 

This was my very first attempt at portraiture (my wife), as I normally shoot landscape. I used PDCU4 to process RAW and some retouching with Elements 9. Lighting was a challenge especially the first two which were taken with available light. I do need more practice on focusing as I see quite a bit of softness. I filled-in shot #4 with a Metz 48. I'd love some suggestions on how I can improve for the next round...Cheers to all!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 

Last edited by K57XR; 11-26-2014 at 04:43 PM.
03-11-2012, 10:24 PM   #2
Brooke Meyer

All you really need for a portrait is a window and a reflector. I do carry around a translucent shower curtain liner to soften the light if necessary and a few backgrounds made from fleece fabric. Outdoors, I tend to use a small softbox with wireless triggered flash for fill instead of a reflector because of no assistant and wind blowing things around. I spend a lot of time thinking about backgrounds and more time thinking how to engage my client. How do I make a portrait, how do I tell their story. The attached image was made with window light and a reflector and an engaged client.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
03-13-2012, 11:26 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you for the tip, Brooke. Excellent sample, too. We originally were going for outdoors but 25mph sustained wind forced us to shoot indoors. I wasn’t really sure what to use and just settled for the bedroom wall as background though; I think my wife has some fabrics we can use. The few outdoor shots we managed to get, I tried to play around with bokeh but as you can see in the last photo which was at f1.8, I wanted the fence to be more out of focus but I may have been too far or she was too close to the fence (or both). I’ll keep practicing..it’s the only way to get better. I'll keep your suggestions in mind for the next session...cheers!
03-14-2012, 07:13 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I would like to begin by saying that I like these photos. I think I like the last one the best.

However, I kept thinking that something did not seem quite right. It took me a while to to figure it out, but I think it is the eyes. The eyes are a bit on the dark side (and a bit unsharp in some of the photos, but you already mentioned that), and do not draw you into the photo. I would see if there is a way to sharpen/brighten the eyes using photoshop, or reshoot with a different lightning scheme (if she will let you, my girlfriend won't even let me take one shot of her).

03-14-2012, 07:53 PM   #5
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
All but #3 and 5 are quite off focus. Most are back-focused. The focusing is critical in portraiture. Must be at least on the eyes as it is the first place the viewer looks to engage with the subject. Next, the lighting is indeed addressed by the previous suggestions.

I think your wife is posing quite nicely and looks to convey enotion very well. Now it comes down to a choice of setting, cosmetics and clothing, with a camera, reflector +/- off-camera flash you have most of what you need for stunning field photography.
03-14-2012, 08:27 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
As far as focusing is concerned, you may want to check the diopter. It is also a good idea to use a faster shutter speed when possible, because people move a lot.

I think the most engaging portraits show people feeling emotions. If you can make your wife laugh, more of what you see in her will come through in the photos, and they will immediately be more likely to draw in the viewer. Even if you have her assume poses, making her laugh can make her seem as natural as possible in these poses.
03-16-2012, 09:14 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
ksweir - Thanks! I think I see what you’re saying. I’ll experiment with brightness on PE9 and see what kind of improvements I can get and also experiment with different lighting scheme for the next session. She wouldn’t mind her photos taken…so long as she’s wearing makeup.

Ash - Agreed, the more I look at them the more I can see how out of focus they are especially #2, it’s quite severe. I tried to focus on the closest eye but I guess one of us moved slightly (I’m guessing I did) and lost focus on the target during the shot. I’m sure it isn’t the equipment as I seem to have gotten it right for 3 & 5. I showed these photos to one of my coworkers and he said #3 reminded him of an old JC Penney catalog.

fuent104 - We actually have a few shots where she was “genuinely” laughing and would’ve been good ones but the focus was off. It’s definitely technique I need to improve. As I’ve mentioned above, I’ll experiment with different lighting along with shutter speed and ISO; I do like to stay between f1.7 – f2.8. Thanks for the diopter suggestion. I did calibrate it before but that was a while (years) back and I think I may have moved it at one point.

Than you all for the much appreciated suggestions! I admit portraiture is somewhat on a different alley for me and I have much to learn about it; but only practice makes perfect...Cheers!

03-19-2012, 05:33 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Agree with most above, out of focus/too soft, but also white balance is all over the place. I doubt your wife has a blueish tinge unless she OD'd on colloidal silver. Use an "Expo Disc" or white card to get your WB right. JMHO
03-25-2012, 10:53 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice sharp pics. Try to blur the first 3 background a bit more will also be nice.
03-27-2012, 05:05 PM   #10
K-9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
In the shots where the background is further away, there really isn't a need to use f1.7 or f2.8. Shooting at f3.5 of f4 is still fine for portraiture, and you have a better shot at getting the eyes in focus, especially in the shots where each eye is not evenly spaced from the camera.