Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2012, 01:10 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
advertising photographs
Lens: FA 31mm Camera: Pentax K-5 

Hi,
I made an attempt to take some photographs to advertise my photo gear (for sale, actually, but it doesn't matter for this topic). While I do like the result and I think that the photos are good, this is my first try and I want your critique concerning light, composition, background, subject placing, point of view (esp. concerning the first two), maybe aperture values (DOF). I want to develop some skills in this type of photography.
Thanks.

03-18-2012, 05:33 PM   #2
Forum Member

I used to struggle with the camera strap arrangement when taking photos of equipment which I was selling.... remove the straps. It's cleaner. And I think showing all the bits in one frame is secondary to tighter crops which reveal the detailed condition of the product... people want assurance there really aren't any scratches on the lcd (example) rather than seeing that the cap and hood are included. Sometimes you can do all these things, mind you. The set up is nice and your pictures are perfectly clear, so good job there, they're not going to harm the eventual sale price...
03-18-2012, 08:55 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the input weave2d2!
03-18-2012, 09:07 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Lens caps are not lens supports :-)

Always show the name...

03-19-2012, 05:27 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi

Product shots have inevitably two function and this is to sell and/or cataloguing.
Look at your offering and decide for yourself if what you see satisfies your curiosity about the product or not. (Would you buy off these pictures?)

In general terms, while coloured, textured backgrounds are nice to look at sometimes, you can't beat a white background. This sets up your product without interference so nothing competes with it for attention. If your offering comprises several items complementary to the main item, there is nothing wrong to include a "summery" shot. The main item however ought to be large and detailed (and sharp!) and perhaps taken from different angles. And there is no room or need for artistic picture taking so no creative cute shadows or colour treatment please. Which simply means perfect lighting that does not create bothersome shadows. Best to shoot with a "light box" or "light tent" that gives you soft shadowless light. (almost) You can make them yourself in any size to suit. But believe me they are the best thing for product photography, particularly for black items which are notoriously troublesome to photograph.

DIY light box: How to Make An Inexpensive Light Tent – DIY

Greetings
03-19-2012, 09:15 AM   #6

I do like the first shot as a here is what I have. I feel after that should be more detailed shots where you can include an overhead shot to show function buttons and what not, and a screen shot to show there is no scratches or imperfections. DOF is fine in my opinion. Everything is in general focus and shows the entire picture nicely. Good work, keep it up.
03-19-2012, 09:41 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for for your advices!