Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-20-2012, 05:24 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Pink flower
Lens: Sigma APO 70-200mm F2.9 EX Camera: Pentax K100D Photo Location: Henry P Leu Gardens, Winter Park, Florida ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/180s Aperture: F6.7 

While strolling at the Henry P. Leu Gardens plant sale, I happened to notice this blossom way off the paved foot path so I went over to take it's photo. I like the outcome.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K100D  Photo 
03-21-2012, 06:57 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I do wish you hadn't clipped the top part of the flower off, and I may have turned the camera 45 degrees to run the branch across the top of (or out of) the frame, as it competes for attention.

From a technical perspective it is well exposed and the detail in the stamen is quite impressive.
03-21-2012, 07:28 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for sharing -- nice shot of a very colorful hibiscus bloom. I agree with grainbelt about the crop -- in general it's best to have either then entire bloom in the frame, or a much closer shot focusing on detail. Because the primary illumination is on-camera flash the lighting is very flat -- good for color but not so good for revealing the shape and texture of the flower. If you were using the camera's pop-up flash of course you can't change the lighting angle, and you also have limited control over the flash's power output -- with on-camera flash you generally want to use the flash to supplement rather than replace the natural light. Of course you may not have had enough natural light here for a hand-held shot; I can't tell. The background shows that there is reasonable light somewhere, but not necessarily on the subject. External flash is more trouble, of course, but gives you more options in situations like this.

The EXIF data shows focal length of 300mm. I read in the reviews here something about getting this "rechipped"; possibly the lens is reporting the incorrect FL? I expect this is going to make SR less effective or even counterproductive.
03-21-2012, 03:16 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I think baro-nite got it right.. composition-wise, I don't even mind the clipping as the focus is the centre, not the petals.

03-21-2012, 04:10 PM   #5

Original Poster
Sadly, I had just gotten to the gardens, saw the blossom quite a bit off the paved walking area, and did not know whether I could venture over there or not, so I changed from my normal 29-90mm to my 100-300mm for the shot. The lens as autofocus though I verified the focus before tripping the shutter. In the process I seem to have shifted just enough to clip off the top of one petal... I'm not sure if I'll submit this for PEG or not given the clipping of the petal. Thoughts on what if anything I could do to salvage this for PEG?

I croped in to minimize most of the stem and other leaves. Thoughts?
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K100D  Photo 

Last edited by whitelotus9; 03-21-2012 at 04:19 PM.
03-21-2012, 05:23 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by whitelotus9 Quote
I changed from my normal 29-90mm to my 100-300mm for the shot. The lens as autofocus though I verified the focus before tripping the shutter.
OK, I was going by the lens you listed for the post -- Sigma 70-200.

With this amount of magnification f/6.7 gives a pretty shallow depth of field, and manual focus is a good idea to make sure the focus is where you think it should be.

Re submitting to PEG, to be honest I fear the flat lighting is in itself enough to prevent acceptance. No harm submitting, of course, if you aren't too concerned about whether or not it is accepted.
03-21-2012, 06:03 PM   #7

Original Poster
I entered the lens data from the EXIF data from the original photo instead of from the lens itself. Looking in the lens itself, the photo was shot with my Quantaray for Pentax AF 100-300mm 1:4.5-6.7 LDO lens. It would appear that the camera is recording an incorrect lens is mounted or the lens is not properly identifying itself. That tells me that almost any information regarding the lens from the EXIF data is suspect when using that lens.

As for PEG, I've had enough rejections, I don't need another one. Had this photo or a corrected version of it received "thumbs up" here, I would have submitted it for PEG. As it is, I'll just enjoy it myself... One thing I really like about this topic area is that photographers learn from others who offer their comments, perspectives, suggestions, etc. with the intention of helping each other.