Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-23-2012, 11:53 AM   #1

Duck
Lens: Sigma 70-300 Camera: K7 Photo Location: Mchenry Dam ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/250s Aperture: F5.6 

Took about 100 pictures of some ducks. This one stood out. First upload to this forum. Photographing nature for 6 months. Any tips or techniques are welcome. Thank you

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
03-23-2012, 12:21 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The duck is nice and sharp and the colour is good as we ll. Maybe the tree right behind it is a little distracting, but it could also be considered an element of the photo? Nice shot.
03-23-2012, 01:46 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Nice shot, welcome to the forums by the way. I'll look forward to more of your submissions.
03-25-2012, 03:29 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum.

This is a good image of the duck and its reflection. It is well detailed and has strong colours in the plumage. I find the tree to be too dominant and there is too much empty brown space for me. I would like to see more duck. It is not always possible to get close enough to our subject especially water birds. Perhaps you could crop it to remove the excess and place the head of the bird closer to the left hand edge. Something along these lines. The resolution of the K7 should enable you to crop and maintain a reasonable image quality.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
03-25-2012, 04:06 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi

I agree, I am not a big fan of the dominating tree. The duck would not have been hanging around there for long so it should have only been a case of picking your moment.
I also agree with Bruce Clarke's cropping suggestion. But my main gripe is the colour, it just does not look right. I just applied the colour picker to adjust the cast and pushed up the green and red colour channels a wee bit, cropped, enlarged the image a bit within the limitation of a 72 dpi image and applied a light sharpening with my favorite sharpening plugin called "FocalBlade". Sample enclosed.

Greetings

Last edited by Schraubstock; 09-16-2012 at 05:32 PM.
03-25-2012, 11:10 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thano you to all who responded. The only software i have is the provided PEntax software. Also, if you all redo my image, is it still mine? how is my image protected from others using it? Tahnk you and any and all details are wlays appreciated.
03-25-2012, 12:18 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Mai199,

I think Bruce Clark's crop and Schraubstock's colour correction would produce a super picture.

Mickey