Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-25-2012, 12:22 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Commercial Quay
Camera: Pentax K-r Photo Location: Leith Edinburgh ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/350s Aperture: F8 

I took this photo today and would like to think i've got the basics right . I'd love to hear others opionions good or bad

03-25-2012, 12:58 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi. You've exposed the image well and captured your intended subject. From a critique point of view the image lacks impact due to the subject both not being very interesting that the general public can relate to, nor does it make a bold statement in the image to stand out as the clear subject. Landscape images should combine good natural lighting with an interesting subject, or form, to garner the attention of the viewer. Hope this helps.
03-25-2012, 01:08 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Hi. You've exposed the image well and captured your intended subject. From a critique point of view the image lacks impact due to the subject both not being very interesting that the general public can relate to, nor does it make a bold statement in the image to stand out as the clear subject. Landscape images should combine good natural lighting with an interesting subject, or form, to garner the attention of the viewer. Hope this helps.
Thanks Ash , i'll try to bear that advice in mind
03-26-2012, 04:31 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi

I think you could rescue a bit of impact by cropping the image a little bit.

Cropping is easy to do and often it can improve a shot a lot, but is overlooked too often. In your picture there is "surplus to requirement". I have taken down the top a bit and to my eye it helps to make the arch a bit more the point of interest. Also in streetscapes like these the ever so little falling lines of buildings are annoying to the eye and should be corrected in my view. And of course proper horizontal correctness is important also. If it is out only a little my eyes always get stuck on it.

Hope it helps. Greetings

Last edited by Schraubstock; 09-16-2012 at 05:32 PM.