Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-10-2012, 08:47 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Absolute Beginner - consider yourself warned!
Lens: Pentax 18-55 kit lens Camera: K5 Photo Location: Texas Aperture: F5.6 

Absolutely no idea what I am doing (as you can immediately see) but thought I'd start taking pictures and work with the trial version of Lightroom 4. I know they're worthless compared to all the pics posted on here but its the best pics I've ever taken so that's a huge improvement for me. All C&C welcome.

Let's see if this works.

Last edited by Sage97; 04-10-2012 at 08:57 PM.
04-10-2012, 08:51 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Not a bad start :-) It's easy to fall into the habit of centering your subject. For #1, I'd crop off the left side with the bright area, and some of the top or bottom for balance. It's a bit soft to start with, and cropping won't help that, but it will give a better composition.

For #2, the centered subject works well, especially because the petals lead in from the corners.

Last edited by SpecialK; 04-10-2012 at 09:51 PM.
04-10-2012, 09:01 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
SpecialK,

Fantastic advice. Thanks very much.

Any thoughts on "unsoftening" (hehe) my next pics? Do I need to keep working on camera settings or PP?
04-10-2012, 09:21 PM   #4
MSL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The second picture is far from worthless. Hard to know whether you need to play more with PP or not, since I don't have a sense of how much you have tinkered with the image. But even as is, it is a good shot.

The first one, when cropped as SpecialK suggested will look a lot better. On the assumption that you can go back to the tree and shoot again, you might want to try a bunch of angles, everything from face on to the leaves, to completely side on. That will give you a sense of how composition affects an image, before you worry about PP aspects, and it should be easy enough to take these shots. Also, depending on the time of day, you may have to worry about shadows, which is another variable that comes into play when setting up a shot.

04-10-2012, 09:56 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Sage97 Quote
Any thoughts on "unsoftening" (hehe) my next pics? Do I need to keep working on camera settings or PP?
I think you will find a better lens will help immensely on that point. You don't have to run out and get one right now, but you could snoop around the marketplace here on the forum for a Sigma or Tamron 17-50 f2.8 or a Sigma 17-70 (various versions). They are all pretty sharp. They run maybe $350.
04-10-2012, 10:04 PM   #6
MSL
Pentaxian

Well in addition to my previous suggestion, you can also put the camera into either Av or P mode, and then shoot the same scene using a range of aperture settings. That will guide you as to whether this lens can be made sharp enough, or if you need to go shopping. I find the kit lens a useful tool for its focal length range, but it isn't my go to lens when I want to shoot specific scenes. Having said all that, though, I'm quite impressed that you got image #2 out of the kit lens, and I think you are already off to a flying start.
04-11-2012, 08:10 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
I think you will find a better lens will help immensely on that point. You don't have to run out and get one right now, but you could snoop around the marketplace here on the forum for a Sigma or Tamron 17-50 f2.8 or a Sigma 17-70 (various versions). They are all pretty sharp. They run maybe $350.
Awesome. Window shopping is fun. Really appreciate the suggestions.

04-11-2012, 08:16 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
Well in addition to my previous suggestion, you can also put the camera into either Av or P mode, and then shoot the same scene using a range of aperture settings. That will guide you as to whether this lens can be made sharp enough, or if you need to go shopping. I find the kit lens a useful tool for its focal length range, but it isn't my go to lens when I want to shoot specific scenes. Having said all that, though, I'm quite impressed that you got image #2 out of the kit lens, and I think you are already off to a flying start.
I'll try to reshoot after work today and experiment with these modes. Newbie comment - I'll study more on "focal length range" to understand your statement a bit more. I am actually auditioning and comparing the Nikon D7000 and the K5. They are both really good and I could either way. I will have to make a decision soon.

Really appreciate the encouragement. I never thought I'd enjoy taking pictures as much as I am enjoying it now. I haven't played guitar (my number passion) a couple weeks now. When I get a little better, my beloved guitars will be my next subjects!
04-11-2012, 08:29 AM   #9
MSL
Pentaxian

I'll try to reshoot after work today and experiment with these modes. Newbie comment - I'll study more on "focal length range" to understand your statement a bit more. I am actually auditioning and comparing the Nikon D7000 and the K5. They are both really good and I could either way. I will have to make a decision soon.

Really appreciate the encouragement. I never thought I'd enjoy taking pictures as much as I am enjoying it now. I haven't played guitar (my number passion) a couple weeks now. When I get a little better, my beloved guitars will be my next subjects!

If you look at film cameras or full frame digital cameras a 50mm lens was the standard focal length - it is good for shooting in many situations from taking portraits if you are up close, to landscapes and architecture if you have enough room to step back. Shorter than that are you start to get into wide angle lenses, and bigger than that (85-100 mm and up) you get into short telelphoto to longer telephoto.

On an APS-C sensor there is a crop factor, so that a 50mm lens is like shooting a 75mm lens on a full frame camera. So the 18-55 kit lens (which most people will tell you is a lot better than the kit lenses other companies bundle with their cameras) works out to a focal range of 27- 82.5. This lets you cover most urban situations, and so gives you a lot of flexibility in your compositions. When I tried to take pictures of my kids at a playground using a 50 or 55 mm lens, I found I had to step back too much to capture them.

Hope this clarifies things.
04-11-2012, 06:56 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yes it does make sense. Thanks very much for taking the time to explain.

A friend at work asked me if the K5 was FF and I said yes even though I was clueless. I'll tell him tomorrow its not.