Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2012, 09:10 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pocket full of water
Lens: SuperTak 55/2 Camera: K-5 

One last water pocket that hadn't yet evaporated this afternoon. (Forgot to note SuperTak 55/2 + extension tubes)

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 

Last edited by MSL; 04-11-2012 at 09:32 PM.
04-11-2012, 10:40 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think I see why the DOF is a bit shallow and you're also getting a blurred image. Increase your aperture to between F8 to F11 and also increase your shutter speed to 250 or slightly higher. If you put your camera on the Tav setting it will allow you to do this. You have some noise in the shot but your PP program should allow you to remove that. This then should result in a much better and sharper shot.
04-12-2012, 05:03 AM   #3
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the feedback EM. I'm pretty sure I was shooting F8, no clue on the shutter speed. But the aperture was all over the place, as was the wind pushing the leaves around. I'm using a SuperTak with extension tubes, so I'm stuck in manual mode. But I should probably take a look at what shutter speed it was giving me, and bump up the ISO if needed. As this bush is on my neighbours yard, I should get a chance to try again, even if I have to "fake" the water droplet.

So far, for PP I'm using FastStone. I had to do a lot just to get the colours where they are here, and probably could have spent more time on it. I'm fairly new to PP, although I also have some GIMP experience (both free programs), but I can't say I like doing the PP. I'll definitely try to make these images better as I do like the picture and if I can make it better it will be worth the time.
04-12-2012, 05:07 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Super color.

04-12-2012, 05:09 AM   #5
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by snappychappy Quote
Super color.
Thanks for the feedback on this and other photos. Helps keep me (and I suspect many others) encouraged to posting more images.
04-12-2012, 06:23 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The colors are great. I like the blue in the background. When using manual lens and extension tubes I find using catch in focus helps me. Just put the lens on close focus, then move the camera back and forth while holding the focus point where you want it, and let the camera fire when the subject comes into focus.
04-12-2012, 07:41 AM   #7
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bluestringer Quote
The colors are great. I like the blue in the background. When using manual lens and extension tubes I find using catch in focus helps me. Just put the lens on close focus, then move the camera back and forth while holding the focus point where you want it, and let the camera fire when the subject comes into focus.
That's a good suggestion, but I'm not sure catch in focus will work when using M42 lenses/tubes mounted on a genuine pentax adapter, as none of the contact are shorted out. But I'll give it a try and see if I can make it work, as there are a number of good threads on this topic elsewhere in this forum.

Also, CIF won't work if the lens is stopped down - I can't even get focus confirmation when at f8.

Last edited by MSL; 04-12-2012 at 08:04 AM.
04-12-2012, 09:16 AM   #8
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I had this post in the Post your Photos section, but I realized I should really have been putting all my uploads in this section as I'd like to get as much feedback as possible. Thanks to the moderators for moving this one for me.