Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-12-2012, 03:45 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Full Steam Ahead
Lens: DA 50-300 Camera: K5 Photo Location: Bo'ness, Scotland ISO: 800 Shutter Speed: 1/500s Aperture: F5.6 

Here are some pictures from the Bo'ness and Kinneil Scottish Railway Preservation Society i too the other day.
I know i have a long way to go go but please tell me what i can do to improve these photographs.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
04-12-2012, 05:51 AM   #2
Veteran Member

The second one is my favorite. I like all the steam, the hand gesture of the conductor, the color combinations, and just the angle of the shot.

The first shot is framed really nicely but the focus needed to be sharper on the guy's face but looks like it ended up on the controls behind him instead.

My opinion: I think the sky needs to come out more in all of these, except the first one which doesn't have any sky in int. I usually speed up the shutter speed to keep bright skies from washing out too much and then bring some detail back when processing in Lightroom with the Recovery tool in LR3, or Highlights and Whites sliders in LR4. I try my best to not lose detail in the sky whenever it's included in shots since I rarely see pics with whited out skies that I don't think would've looked better if they just had some more color and texture in the sky. Washed out skies work sometimes, but not very often, at least for me. For this reason, I almost always underexpose at least half a stop as I find it easier to bring out the darks in post production than I do to get back details from the highlights.

Overall, looks like a great place for picture taking. Trains are very photogenic, especially steam engine ones!

I also think train yard shots could look great in black and white. Maybe give that a try next time.
04-12-2012, 07:05 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks Tom, I will use your tips next time and will try black and white or even sepia.
On the day the sky was caught some where in the middle of shoud it rain or not with plenty of haze, but hey that's Scotland.
At this time of year it's not uncommon to go through all four seasons in a couple of hours.
04-12-2012, 05:00 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Loved 'em all.
Thanks for sharing, Pickles.

04-13-2012, 06:01 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pickles Quote
Loved 'em all.
Thanks for sharing, Pickles.
I do have more, hopefully later today I will be able to put a link up for anyone interested.