Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2012, 03:12 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Developing my style
Lens: FA* 85mm f/1.4 Camera: K-5 Photo Location: Istanbul 

I love wide aspect photographs in what I call a "cinematic" style. What makes them cinematic to my eye is their wideness, colors and I don't know what else, I just get the feeling that they are extracted from a movie. I also love the "A face in the crowd" style so much and try to take my street shots that way. I don't like my subjects with clear backgrounds or foregrounds. So my ideal is to combine the cinematic and the "face in the crowd". I don't think I can get to that level yet, but I am very willing to get there.

So through my efforts I am presenting these photos for criticism. Thank you

04-15-2012, 10:47 AM   #2
K-9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I would crop the person/item in the right foreground out of the first shot.

Otherwise, I like the overall look. Very crisp and yes, they have that cinematic look. Nice job.
04-16-2012, 11:43 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I like the style. I've wondered for a while how long it would take for 16x9 to take over, since our computers and TVs and other primary image display devices use that standard.

That being said, you cropped the dude's hand out in #2, which is generally a non-starter.

Now that I scrolled up and down a few times, #1 seems a little green, not sure on your white balance - you might try sampling that black coat and see if it clears things up.
04-16-2012, 11:45 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thank you grainbelt, the faulty crop I didn't realize. probably watch them out next time. the first one should look a little sepia as I applied a digital filter on it.

04-16-2012, 11:55 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Crosshair Quote
thank you grainbelt, the faulty crop I didn't realize. probably watch them out next time. the first one should look a little sepia as I applied a digital filter on it.
It's good to be mindful of crops, but don't get too boxed in over it.

Consider, for educational purposes, this famous image by one of the greats, Gary Winogrand.

Or this cropped hand in an image from another legend, Robert Frank

« Spain | angel »