Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-17-2012, 08:03 PM   #1

Another old barn
Lens: da 16-45 Camera: K10D 

Took this in W.V....one of my favorites

Last edited by robert; 11-10-2012 at 09:45 AM.
04-17-2012, 11:29 PM   #2
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pleasant and colourful scene captured. It is nicely complementary overall, though there is too much grass in the foreground of the image not adding any value to the photo. The relatively harsh lighting of the sun made for a less flattering rendition, but it's a beautiful scene.
04-18-2012, 12:02 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Hey, I like it, the contrast with fall/autumn & the greens, leaves the barn placed nicely.
04-18-2012, 04:47 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi

I agree, there is just a bit too much fore ground. Just crop the bottom a little bit, not too much though. But when you do this you also have to crop a little bit from the left of the picture to get a bit of balance back. Try it yourself until you feel it is right.

Another thing I am not so fond of is the inky blue sky. The blue of the sky often takes on this colour when the image is undergoing some HDR treatment. (Which I think you have done her) I always feel during HDR tweaking the blue of the sky needs special attention to retain a plausible sky colour. So just keep an eye out for it. At the very top of the tree line against the sky the trees have turned blue also possibly as a result of the HDR manipulation. This to me is very distracting, in fact this is the very first thing I noticed when I looked at the picture. So another thing to look out for.

It is a beautiful motive the photograph and you have a good eye for it. In my opinion if you could make the small adjustments as above I would say you have a winner.

Greetings

04-18-2012, 09:26 AM   #5

Photos: Albums
Cropping would help, but a very nice image.
04-18-2012, 11:58 AM   #6
MSL
Pentaxian

Not sure if you would try cropping this much, so here's one option of what you could do with the image that gets rid of much of the foreground, and also minimizes the inky blue sky. I dropped the JPG quality a bit too much, which has fuzzed out the trees, but I was trying to keep the size as small as I could.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
04-18-2012, 01:17 PM   #7
smf
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks very much for posting the very nice image!

In my humble opinion:
1. The sky's OK, and I like the clouds at left, but the very small puff of cloud at right is a distraction.

2. Cropping a little bit from the bottom might strengthen the photo a bit.

All best,
Stu

3. The "blue trees" are, to me, a very minor issue. They were by no means the first thing I noticed.

4. I think I perceive a slight tilt to the left. Maybe that's the ground's incline. Maybe it is camera angle.
04-20-2012, 12:50 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi

Old barns, shearing sheds, old unused cottages or ruins are such fun to photograph. In my opinion they require special consideration as far as framing is concerned. I have to say the crop put up by MSL is a bit too much in my opinion. And of course he MSL recognises it himself by putting a question mark over it and it is good to have another variation to consider.

Here is what I have learned how to photograph such motives:
Lets stick with barns for a moment (but it applies to the other above mentioned structures). They inherently have a character of their own and usually make a very strong statement. But perhaps surprisingly they also relate strongly to the environment or surrounding landscape where they stand. As such they ought to by photographed in such a way so they and the landscape relate to each other perfectly. Perhaps the harsh environment they are standing in is the reason for the decay and this can become the story of the image then. Therefore I feel when they look a little lost in the landscape is the best way to photograph them. At the other extreme, detailed closeups of these old buildings are very nice also but with just a "little" landscape around them does not work in my opinion. This is a general rule I would follow but there are always exceptions aren't there.

Greetings

04-20-2012, 05:34 AM   #9
MSL
Pentaxian

@Schraubstock - no question about it - I cropped too much, just to show what the other limit looks like. This was partly done because I didn't just want to talk about cropping but show an example. Somewhere between the two images is a beautiful and powerful image waiting to emerge. I hope robert will take the time to play with it some more.

Last edited by MSL; 04-21-2012 at 10:12 PM.
04-20-2012, 03:02 PM   #10

I'd suggest not cropping the image. You have a nice balance of colors (1/3, 1/3, 1/3).
04-21-2012, 10:10 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I like the image, but agree with the crop request, too much grass going on, but leave the clouds in. Id be happy if the grass was softer too perhaps. But I'm digging the pastel's in the trees. *nods*

But hey, who are we to tell you how to crop your image
Attached Images

Last edited by tromboads; 04-21-2012 at 10:16 PM.