Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
04-22-2012, 05:04 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bird of Paradise
Lens: 16-50 Camera: K5 ISO: 80 Shutter Speed: 1/180s Aperture: F3.5 

I'm after some thoughts (naturally), I've had a mixed bag of feed back (the negative wasn't really helpful) on this photo and while I like it, I'm interested in if I'm misguided

There is a little of PP in Lightroom (e.g. cropping) and I use used the built in flash.

04-22-2012, 05:09 AM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The colour gradation in the background is very nice, though not the most complementary to the subject matter. The subject seems to be incompletely framed in the image and as such not an effective composition. The lighting on the subject is somewhat harsh but the rest of the execution is quite well done.
04-22-2012, 05:54 AM   #3
smf
Pentaxian

I like it.
If it were mine, I'd convert the colored area at extreme lower right to white. And I would experiment with different cropping on the left.
Best wishes.
Stu
04-22-2012, 06:34 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I like the colours and shapes.But the bottom green bit (leaf?) appears to have an odd texture. Maybe its out of focus or its colour saturation doesn't quite match the other vibrant colours. Its an interesting shot, though, very nice. Oh, and maybe the crop could be slightly more to the right? Just so there is 3mm more space between the end of the leaf and the end of the photo. But this is really nitpicking. Well, I guess this is what this forum is for, so..

04-25-2012, 05:25 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
The colour gradation in the background is very nice, though not the most complementary to the subject matter. The subject seems to be incompletely framed in the image and as such not an effective composition. The lighting on the subject is somewhat harsh but the rest of the execution is quite well done.
QuoteOriginally posted by smf Quote
I like it.
If it were mine, I'd convert the colored area at extreme lower right to white. And I would experiment with different cropping on the left.
Best wishes.
Stu
Thanks for the feed back guys, I managed to catch a house in the back ground and I was aiming for a clear sky background and to remove it by cropping, this was my only option but I understand what your saying.

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
I like the colours and shapes.But the bottom green bit (leaf?) appears to have an odd texture. Maybe its out of focus or its colour saturation doesn't quite match the other vibrant colours. Its an interesting shot, though, very nice. Oh, and maybe the crop could be slightly more to the right? Just so there is 3mm more space between the end of the leaf and the end of the photo. But this is really nitpicking. Well, I guess this is what this forum is for, so..
Sometimes its the small details that can make or break it, nitpicking welcomed
04-25-2012, 06:16 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think it a pretty good image of the flower itself. Exposure is good, although the the focus is getting a little soft towards the end of the spike. The blue background clashes a bit with the colours of the flower. Also there is a little blurred object on the right hand side lower down that could be removed. Perhaps taking a step back and framing the flower more to the left would give you more to work on.