Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2012, 12:27 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Fishing with Dad
Lens: Smc PENTAX-DA L 50-200mm F4-5.6 ED Camera: Kr Photo Location: Dublin,Ireland ISO: 800 Shutter Speed: 1/1500s Aperture: F8 

I took this snap shoot while out and about. I like it, but, I’m new to photography and this Form so any constructive criticism is welcome.
Thank you and hello, Mic

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
04-24-2012, 02:40 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'm guessing you composed the shot to include all the fishing pole, but it sort of makes it unbalanced as everything else is on the other side. The pole is actually not important :-)

I would at least crop of the green on the left. It may also benefit from a little more contrast and a little underexposure.

Last edited by SpecialK; 04-24-2012 at 05:30 PM.
04-24-2012, 03:48 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mic_g8 Quote
I took this snap shoot while out and about. I like it, but, I’m new to photography and this Form so any constructive criticism is welcome.
Thank you and hello, Mic
The previous poster has some points, however, I think from a story telling point of view, you have captured your intent. I agree with the previous poster on proper composition, but IMHO your first responsibility is to tell your story.
04-25-2012, 06:23 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes fishing with Dad is an important story the world over. I agree that a slight crop on left and right to remove the green and also to be realy picky, the person in orange on the right. Just a couple of things intruding on the frame. Otherwise near perfect.

04-25-2012, 07:11 AM   #5
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As far as capturing the moment and the story, you've done a great job. Cropping will help remove the "bad" bits, which can have a dramatic effect on improving an image because you get rid of distractions. I'm sure some colour tweaking would help to. But as far as taking the photograph, you've done well.
04-25-2012, 05:21 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forum. I hope to see more of you.

If you want to be an artist there are some good tips in the posts above.

If you want to tell stories worth a 1000 words you did a great job. There is noting wrong about a story teller using a few artist tips but don't take the comments as negatives. All of them were meant to help you along.
04-26-2012, 11:18 AM   #7

Original Poster
Hi, I’d like to take the time to thank all of you that have viewed my photo, as I stated before I’m new to photography and I couldn’t be happier with the response to my first post. Its been a fantastic welcome.

For those of you that posted a comment, I appreciate you taking the time to do so. I didn’t carry out any post processing on this shot in the hope that I would get some strong critique, good or bad, in order to improve my photography in the future, but I got even more than that, I’ve been shown that I can improve this shoot too, and will try to do so as I get use to playing around with photography software and post processing.

I’ve taken all the tips you guys have given me, on board and hope to tell more stories in the future while composing my shots better, ie. not loading the shot on one side.

I’m sure I’ll make many more mistakes in the future, but will have fun doing so

I can’t thank you guy enough,

All the best for now,

Mic

05-17-2012, 11:29 AM   #8

Original Poster
cropped version

This a cropped version of the original with a little underexposure and shadow compensation, still a bit more to do with it. Again thanks for all the comments.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
05-17-2012, 11:45 AM   #9
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very nice, but if you can stand more suggestions, I'd have cropped a little less tightly, maybe slicing the top so there was as much free space above his head as there was below his sneakers in the original, and I would not have cropped from the bottom.
05-17-2012, 01:17 PM   #10

Original Poster
I have to agree with you I did crop a bit too tight. There are a few other things I want to try, like bring the shadow at the top of the light house, in the original back into play, to make it look a little less flat and also some of the other suggestions made in earlier posts
« Sister | Palm Trees »