Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-06-2012, 10:15 PM - 1 Like   #1

Cattle Egret- First Real Try at Birds
Lens: Pentax DA-55-300mm Camera: K7 Photo Location: India ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/250s Aperture: F5.8 

Would like to get suggestions on the shot. I am in the very initial stages of Photography...

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
05-07-2012, 02:40 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice try but... shooting birds with a focal length of 300mm your shurtter speed should have been at least 1/450s. Faster would have been better. Also using a smaller f stop would have given you more detail. As a bird photographer, I usually shoot at f8, 1/500s to 1/1000s.
This photo of yours, the head is out of focus.
Remember this about shoot birds...they move, you may not see it with your naked eye, but they are always twitching.

And cropping. If you want the bird to stand out and be the main subject, crop both sides. You don't need the excess field views.
05-07-2012, 04:08 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Tough to shoot birds...need at least a 500mm lens I would say. With a 300mm you are a bit limited. I also use shutter of 1/500ms and above with a decent f-stop of nothing less that f5.6. Up your ISO if needed be. I agree with Photolady. Cheers.
05-07-2012, 04:37 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bezuidar Quote
.need at least a 500mm lens
Most of my birds are shot with a Sigma 70-300mm lens at 300mm. Of course, I will say, if the birds are rather far away, a 500mm would be the lens to use.

Case in point:

05-07-2012, 04:53 AM   #5
smf
Pentaxian

Please do not be discouraged if a 500 mm lens isn't in your budget right away.

Some options which could bring you considerable enjoyment and good photos include use of your existing lens (in the field or from a blind) and use of a lens plus a teleconverter (which could result in some loss of image quality).

Perhaps you'd be happy with results from a long mirror lens, potentially at lower cost than a non-mirror lens of equal length. I hope you can try a mirror lens under various lighting conditions before buying that specific lens.

Please consider use of a tripod, monopod, support of a beanbag on a car's window frame, and/or other means of providing stability when using a long lens. (I have had some acceptable results with a handheld lens up to 300 mm.)

Some resources for bird photographers are http://www.birdsasart.com/

Arthur Morris/BIRDS AS ART

http://birdphotographers.net

Arthur Morris, prominent photographer of birds, has a book on DVD and an earlier book in print. Although he uses Canon equipment, much of what he writes is useful to photographers using other equipment.

Best wishes!

Last edited by smf; 05-07-2012 at 04:56 AM. Reason: insert blank line
05-07-2012, 02:54 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's a good start. You've captured an interesting an attractive "pose" with good lighting. You had the right idea to use a positive exposure compensation value when shooting a (mainly) white bird, however some of the white plumage appears overexposed. You might try spot metering instead, at least for a case such as this where the bird is a relatively small part of the frame. With bird shots autofocus has an unfortunate tendency to lock on a branch rather than the bird, which might have happened here. Shooting at low ISO is nice to do when the conditions warrant it, but here it might have been a better trade-off to shoot at higher ISO with a faster shutter and/or smaller aperture. Of course by dialing down the exposure compensation or otherwise adjusting the exposure to avoid blowing out the highlights, you'd have a bit more leeway on shutter/aperture to begin with.

Keep shooting and keep posting!

Last edited by baro-nite; 05-07-2012 at 02:55 PM. Reason: typo
05-07-2012, 10:24 PM   #7

Original Poster
@ photolady -Amazing Shot!! Thanks for your helpful tips... I will try with this setting next time..... Thanks a lot!!
@bezuidar, smf, baro-nite - I will try to shoot with ur suggestions in mind. Thanks for the tips...

05-07-2012, 11:50 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

You're welcome! Hope to see more from you.
05-08-2012, 01:57 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
Nice try but... shooting birds with a focal length of 300mm your shurtter speed should have been at least 1/450s. Faster would have been better. Also using a smaller f stop would have given you more detail. As a bird photographer, I usually shoot at f8, 1/500s to 1/1000s.
This photo of yours, the head is out of focus.
Remember this about shoot birds...they move, you may not see it with your naked eye, but they are always twitching.

And cropping. If you want the bird to stand out and be the main subject, crop both sides. You don't need the excess field views.
I would say exactly the same, really good advices
05-08-2012, 11:22 PM   #10
Forum Member

As far as the finished product goes, I'd say try not to put the bird in the middle of the frame unless there's something intriguing to exploit by that type of placement.