Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-07-2012, 08:49 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Spooky...
Lens: DA 16-45 Camera: K-5 ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/200s Aperture: F9.5 

An attempt at architecture shot... I would like to learn how to do this better.

Attached Images

05-07-2012, 10:03 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think this shot indeed sets a spooky mood, but it would do an even better job if it were darker (and bigger while we're at it).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-07-2012, 10:10 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
A little more contrast in the sky?
05-08-2012, 09:02 PM   #4
smf
Pentaxian

A relatively minor point: Does the house truly lean to the right or is there some camera tilt? If the latter is the case, you might want to tweak the alignment.

Best wishes.

07-30-2012, 10:35 AM   #5
Forum Member

Clouds play an important role in spooky photos in this case they are a little bit over exposed. Try some HDR maybe with 2 or 3 photos only to save those clouds.
Also the time when you took the picture, maybe near dusk would be better.
07-30-2012, 10:38 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I wouldn't be able to resist going inside that house, and taking pictures there.
08-08-2012, 10:06 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Some dodging and burning should be done. The sky has already been mentioned and a little bit more detail in the left corner would help the picture to. A bit closer and shooting with a low perspective would possibly make it even more dramatic.

08-08-2012, 10:38 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Hello
Old derelict buildings are interesting subjects but this has some issues. First, the sky is the brightest part of the image and the eye keeps sliding up to it and away from the subject. Second the verticals need straightening, it doesn't bother half the viewers but it does bother the other half. Third the framing I find distracting, it's heavily lopsided with the building crowding the left hand side. Suggestions. Reshoot at a different time of day or when some dark ominous clouds are there, or replace the sky in pp. Change the the position of the shot. I'm guessing it was shot from the road, try moving in closer and using the wide end of the lens this will change the perspective and feel. Experiment with painting with light at night which can create some really interesting effects. I don't know if these are feasible for you or not. Might not be a safe place to shoot etc.
Regards
Greg
08-09-2012, 10:06 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I would have liked a different angle maybe. Pic a bit to "straight" for me.