Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
05-08-2012, 06:21 PM - 1 Like   #1
Forum Member

Lightning
Lens: Pentax 18-55mm Camera: Pentax K-R Photo Location: Somewhere in Texas ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: Above 6s Aperture: F3.5 

If the following images are too big go here https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/p...do=editoptions and scroll down to the bottom of "Thread Display Options" and set the "Maximum Photo Width" and "Maximum Photo Height" to 1024 or your preferred setting.

05-08-2012, 11:26 PM   #2
Site Supporter

the actual lighting is damn well captured, it seems to be coming out of an unquantifiable location in teh heavens, but it'd be nice to see somethign interesting on the ground, a silhouette of something perhaps between the camera and the horizon.
that and to get rid of those obnoxious watermarks.
05-09-2012, 06:06 AM   #3

Photos: Albums
+1 on images, +1 on watermarks. I think copyright laws will cover your work, even without the watermarks.
05-10-2012, 09:41 PM   #4
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice capture, one of my fav subjects, when shooting lightning, I try to have something in the foreground for scale. I like both

05-11-2012, 03:44 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Well, that bright dot in the distance is a lonely security light (probably old mercury-vapor) if that helps the scale any.

I live on a cliff, so unless one wants out of focus patio furniture in the foreground there really isn't anything to work with.

BTW, shooting lightning is like playing the lotto which makes it one of the funner things to shoot. Never know what you're going to wind up with. I probably only keep 5 shots out of every 20-30.

The above were done with 30 second exposures. I wonder if I should try 15 second and also try using RAW instead of JPG.
05-15-2012, 11:58 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter

it sounds like you don't want us to critique your photo as a photo, but as a capture of lighting.
as a photo, i think what we said still stands.
if you want an interesting photo, go get something to put in the foreground, or accept that maybe taking a shot from that location is just a boring idea.
if however, the criteria is "how good is this lightning photo taken from my backyard" then you get 5 stars... this is as good an image as you will get with any settings more or less.
i don't look at photography as a skill, we live in an age when the camera can choose settings better than the photographer in 50% of situations... i look at it as art, and in doing so, you should consider that your camera is just capturing a scene of natural art... so how you frame and set up the shot is going to determine how interesting the photo is.
its kind of like saying, you could take the most technically perfect photo of an ugly model, but, a kodak disposable camera shot of a beautiful model will always be the better picture.

so my question to you is... are you taking accurate stock photos of lighting? or are you trying to take an interesting photo? which angle do you want critique from?
05-17-2012, 10:39 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dominikkolendo Quote
so my question to you is... are you taking accurate stock photos of lighting? or are you trying to take an interesting photo? which angle do you want critique from?
I'm after good photos of lightning and other weather.

But on my Sunset photo, I am more interested in opinions from the artistic angle. I wish it would of gotten as many replies as this thread has.

05-20-2012, 01:34 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice shots, as far as artistic or just having something interesting in the shot with lightning, not an easy thing to do.