Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-10-2012, 06:49 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Early morning park
Lens: SMC Pentax -DFA 1:2.8 100mm-macro Camera: Pentax K-5 Photo Location: Dow's Lake, Ottawa ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/250s Aperture: F3.2 

ISO was actually 160

This photo was taken in the morning when there was still a lot of fog in the air. I use Photoshop Elements 10 in post-processing.

I would be grateful for any and all critiques.

Thanks,

Bob

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
05-10-2012, 07:11 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A path or road is a classic compositional element, and is great for drawing the eye into the image. You don't get the full effect of that here because of the framing, with the path disappearing off to the side more than toward the viewer. Not that one always need use a path that way, but you're partway there and I think this would work better with the path emerging from the bottom of the frame.

The benches, shrubs, and closest light post provide some foreground interest, but are too distant for that purpose. Again, one need not always have foreground interest, but you are partway there and that makes the viewer (this viewer, at any rate) want a closer look. Possibly both these points could have been addressed by standing on the path, somewhat closer to the lamp post and benches (which are more interesting than the shrubs), looking more toward the left to bring in more of the water.

I'm a fan of black and white and to me this image cries out for it. But there is some nice color there, only the white balance seems too much toward blue/red.
05-10-2012, 07:28 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi

This is a very pleasant scene, rich in colour. I presume the couple walking towards you are strangers otherwise they would have figured more prominently. I find the photo to be in two parts. The top has everything in it while the bottom third is practically empty. I would crop it just below the garden bed. Also to really picky, to the left of the gentleman is a red object. This should be cloned out. Also the yellow traffic sign on the right hand side. Little things but they detract from the mood.
05-10-2012, 07:43 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'll try the B&W, baro-nite. I will also try the adjustments you suggest, Bruce - see what happens.

Thank you, both.

05-10-2012, 08:04 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Early morning park

The B&W has not undergone any post-processing, other than that which I did in the original colour photo posted. It is interesting. I don't try B&W often enough.

I also tried the cropping, as suggested, and cloning out the red figure.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
05-10-2012, 08:57 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It seems to me, now, that, in addition to the "structural changes" suggested by Scott and Bruce, there might be a technical difficulty, especially when looking at the cropped version suggested by Bruce. I wonder if it might not be improved by having used a slower shutter speed (say, 1/60) and possibly an f:/8 or higher f: stop? I like a soft focus but in this case it might be better if the bench in the middle of the photo were in focus with the DOF encompassing the walkers, etc.?
05-10-2012, 10:52 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I see what you mean about the cropped version being a bit soft. The B/W looks much sharper as does the picture as originally posted. I am wondering whether you operated on the original file or cropped the scaled down version.

05-11-2012, 05:40 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hi Bruce, You know, I think I might have used the scaled-down version to crop. That would be bad form. I will look at it again. Thanks. Bob