Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-13-2012, 01:15 AM   #1

banksia flower
Lens: Pentax 100mm f2.8 macro Camera: Pentax K-x Photo Location: Kings Park, Perth ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/350s Aperture: F5.6 

comments on how to improve. Shutter speed is high because of the winds prevalent in WA
camera handheld

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
05-13-2012, 01:31 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You managed something pretty good here despite the high winds... I've tried taking macro shots in high wind... it's crazy annoying and you can spend a good half hour trying to take a single good shot of one thing ... bah!

Anyway!

For something as full volume as a banksia, it looks a bit flat perhaps a shallower DoF would've helped in giving a sense of its size. Also, given the deep red vibrance that banksia's can be known for, the colours looks a bit muted, but that might just be cause of the plant itself rather than anything you did (or didn't do) - perhaps increasing the contrast in post?

The composition and contrast has my eyes wandering towards the central black area of the flower yet the view doesn't really let you see much of it - perhaps a more frontal image, still angled looking upwards at it to continue showing the volume of the banksia, but permitting a more fuller view of its center.

And, that's all I can think of for now Keep it up and keep practicing!

I wish there were banksia's like that around my place. I always think they're awesome plants!
05-13-2012, 01:41 AM   #3

Original Poster
thanks for that, I can see what you mean by the composition and contrast.
05-13-2012, 02:06 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Agree with Vylen

This definelty responds well to a quick boost in contrast. DoF is difficult as it is a very deep flower . In reality you have a choice of all or none. Full DoF would be very difficult to acheive in the field so you are restricted to a fairly shallow DoF which raises the question of which part to focus on. A more frontal view emphasing the spiral pattern at the core may be the way to go.

05-13-2012, 03:31 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for your advice, all appreciated. not sure what is meant by increasing contrast in post
05-13-2012, 03:39 AM   #6
smf
Pentaxian

Although it might not have been convenient to carry one to the site of this plant, an option for photography in wind is a box. Close-up nature photographer Mike Moats gives construction information here:
I haven't built the box, but I expect to build one.

Moats addresses many topics related to close-up nature photography at his blog, which is at mikemoatsblog.com Also at that site, you'll find links to a site he founded — at which close-up photographers post images they captured and get comments from forum participants. That's http://www.macronatureforums.com
]

Last edited by smf; 05-13-2012 at 03:40 AM. Reason: delete duplicate material
05-13-2012, 06:38 AM   #7

Original Poster
thanks for that

05-13-2012, 06:56 AM   #8
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

@Vylen has captured my thoughts as had @Bruce_Clark. It is a nice photo as is, but is lacking a focal point - or the black region which is the focal point is too obscured. I think you've also gotten too close - seeing a bit more of the surrounding region would have given some context and contrast.