Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-14-2012, 09:57 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Flower after the rain.
Lens: TOKINA AT-X PRO AF 28-70MM F2.6-2.8 Camera: K7 Photo Location: My ex's house. ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/125s Aperture: F8 

Took this shot last week after the rain. It was a cluster of flowers and the shot was too cluttered. To separate out the below, I had to go full crop. Looking for any critique.

Attachment 128264

05-15-2012, 12:04 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Really good detail. It is good to see nice work from another K-7 user.
05-15-2012, 02:59 AM   #3
Veteran Member

The only thing I can really add is the light is too harsh. I personal bounce the flash (if in doors) or use a defuser.
05-15-2012, 06:08 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Those white dots in the raindrops look like they might be reflections of your light source - flash? Anyway, without knowing the general lighting conditions, if it were me, I would have taken the photo without flash or such direct light which kind-of washed out the colour in much of the photo.

05-15-2012, 06:19 AM   #5
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It is a little bright, and there are a few blown hotspots, but much of that could likely be recovered with some post processing tweaking. Diffusing the flash would help, as would a slightly smaller aperture.
05-15-2012, 07:10 AM   #6

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks BC, I just moved up(actually lateraled) from the K20, the two cameras are very much alike in picture quality, but different in usage.

TooTall, RM Barker, MSL - You guys really hit the nail on the head. It was a rainy, dark day and I was itching to take some pictures (Recently got the k7). The wind was blowing the flowers, so freehand without flash was out. In my haste, I flashed the flowers, head on(no diffuser). I thought f8 would be enough to (somewhat) counter the effects, but looking at it now, I realize it didn't. Doh!

Thanks,
Reed
05-15-2012, 07:42 AM   #7
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I find under those sorts of conditions it is worth bracketing the problem by taking several pictures at the same shutter speed but varying aperture (mind you I'm doing it using SuperTak lenses in Av or M mode and I find the metering can be way off)

« A Girl | wildflower »