Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2012, 10:06 AM   #1
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lacie
Lens: Tokina 28-70 ATX AF 2.8 Camera: K5 Photo Location: Texas ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/25s Aperture: F8 

I shot her wedding last Sunday, and although most of the photos were unremarkable but usable, I found this one to draw my attention. It was a quick grab shot, as most were that day, but it seemed to capture her beauty nicely. I know...I cut off the top of her head! ....still, I like it! Any suggestions in the processing?
Regards! & Thanks! [IMG] [/IMG]

05-19-2012, 10:42 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
A little bit too pink for me. Was your WB on cloudy? My people shots with cloudy WB come across "pinkish". Something about this make me curious as to what she is, either looking at, or what she is thing about. Sharp focus.
05-19-2012, 10:56 AM   #3

go bw high
05-19-2012, 01:03 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I would perhaps crop the right hand side upto her hair and reduce saturation a little.

05-19-2012, 01:18 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
Nice to give Otis a rest ! Very nice shot. The image could do with less saturation because the background is a bit bright. I don't mind the missing top of the head and I could also do without the white rose. I would suggest a tighter crop. Here is a suggestion:
05-19-2012, 01:46 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm listening...good suggestions, FG-One, I like the crop. Anyone want to try a BW? Maybe some Topaz Adjust? Help yourself, and post here, not a problem with me, I love to see what others can do.
Regards & Thanks!
05-19-2012, 01:53 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I would post my version if i could find out how lol
I just seem to get an url or from my albums lol

05-19-2012, 01:53 PM   #8

The background is busy(er) because you oversharpened it.
Try and adjust your sharpening routine so that it only sharpens the subject, instead of everything in the photo.
05-20-2012, 12:02 AM   #9

Here is a B&W version for you.
Attached Images

05-20-2012, 05:53 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Rupert

It's a "quick grab shot" and to say anything for or against its quality is neither here nor their and perhaps even meaningless. If you like it then keep it the way it is.

However, since you ask and had you not provided the "quick grab shot" comment I would venture into dangerous territory and tell you a lot is wrong with the image or at least not a lot is right. (Hope you are not feeling suicidal over this, but for a small fee I can provide grieve counseling)

Of course all the following suggestions can't be considered in a "quick grab shot" and if you could it wouldn't be one.

First and foremost the background is way,way too busy and the colour of it is not doing anything for the picture. The overall couloring of the image to me does not look right either. Can't say really why, just does look a bit too pinkish as it where.

The colour of the subject would require different lighting to make the hair less prominent. As it is it looks to me like the hairdo is the focus of the attention and gives it a kind of "product shot" feel with the end bits missing if it was.

The framing or crop ,as it may be, is all wrong. The picture is too "squat" making her shoulders too big looking. It also makes the white rose too prominent and of course it is "burned out". Perhaps a true portrait orientation would have been better and then the cut off top of her head would not matter so much. But again it is a quick grab shot and you may not be able to change this.

Rupert, sorry for the bad news and I can hear you say - "bloody hell,why did I ask" But please bear in mind it is only the way I see it.

Greetings

P.S. I am not a big fan for a B&W conversion.
05-22-2012, 08:06 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Hi Rupert -

I disagree with Schraubstock here. The background is busy, good busy, you've managed a good separation between subject and background making it a great complement. I think it does make a great product shot, these cropped heads are typical of your magazine spreads. And why should it be bad? I think if it makes her look good, all the better. There are minor nitpicks here and there, like that rose, but overall, good job. I didnt do much with the crop either, just made it a touch tighter.
I quickly played around with the colour. May or may not have done too much -my monitors need calibrating, lol. Cheers.

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Hi Rupert

It's a "quick grab shot" and to say anything for or against its quality is neither here nor their and perhaps even meaningless. If you like it then keep it the way it is.

However, since you ask and had you not provided the "quick grab shot" comment I would venture into dangerous territory and tell you a lot is wrong with the image or at least not a lot is right. (Hope you are not feeling suicidal over this, but for a small fee I can provide grieve counseling)

Of course all the following suggestions can't be considered in a "quick grab shot" and if you could it wouldn't be one.

First and foremost the background is way,way too busy and the colour of it is not doing anything for the picture. The overall couloring of the image to me does not look right either. Can't say really why, just does look a bit too pinkish as it where.

The colour of the subject would require different lighting to make the hair less prominent. As it is it looks to me like the hairdo is the focus of the attention and gives it a kind of "product shot" feel with the end bits missing if it was.

The framing or crop ,as it may be, is all wrong. The picture is too "squat" making her shoulders too big looking. It also makes the white rose too prominent and of course it is "burned out". Perhaps a true portrait orientation would have been better and then the cut off top of her head would not matter so much. But again it is a quick grab shot and you may not be able to change this.

Rupert, sorry for the bad news and I can hear you say - "bloody hell,why did I ask" But please bear in mind it is only the way I see it.

Greetings

P.S. I am not a big fan for a B&W conversion.
05-22-2012, 08:07 AM   #12
Veteran Member

PS: make sure when you do your edits you need to match the ear and the face...what i didnt do in a minute just now.
05-22-2012, 07:13 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Schraubstock....No problem here, I'm used to much worse from Otis...much worse! Your points were valid, and if I had a little time at composition and settings, I might have done better.....I emphasize ...might!

My personal feelings.....It was one of those shots you just snap, and then look back and say "what if?" I still like it, it does have its appeal, but also does make that "what if" come to mind......

Regards & Thanks to all for the comments and tips, they may make a difference next time...or for someone else. Always good to hear from those with more skill and experience!

BTW- For what it's worth, I preferred Lacie as a blond......but you know how young girls are......and she may be blond again next week!
[IMG] [/IMG]
05-23-2012, 01:58 PM   #14
Pentaxian

For the record, I myself prefer the uncropped version. Loosing the rose and the background deter from the mood, I think.
05-23-2012, 02:04 PM   #15
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
BTW- For what it's worth, I preferred Lacie as a blond......but you know how young girls are......and she may be blond again next week!
Rupert, as I told you elsewhere - for at least one photo photoshop her back into being a blond
I like the crop fg-one did, but only for converting the image into a picture of Lacie, rather than a wedding picture of Lacie. The flower makes all the difference. I guess having opened my mouth I should go try something myself so I'll see what inspiration I can come up with. Much as I'd like to do some simple tweaking in FastStone, I think this may require a program with layers like Gimp and I'm still finding my way around that program and the best way (or any way) to do things.