Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-18-2008, 10:28 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Advice needed.

Hi.
I posted this earlier and then fell in love with it........its sort of grown on me.
I have cropped it to this and would like to print it up as a big as I can. I will try an A4 myself and if that is ok I will take it to a printer to try something bigger.

What I am looking for here is how do I improve this shot with sharpening etc to get the most out of it for printing?.

Have printed it off on 5X7 and it comes up really well.

Shot with the DS, Tamron 70-300 @300 and conv in Lightroom.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Grant

Last edited by Mallee Boy; 02-14-2008 at 02:44 PM.
01-19-2008, 06:26 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I would sure like to know what bird that is - my books are all for North American birds.
01-19-2008, 09:34 AM   #3
Ole
Administrator

Raising the mid-tone contrast would add snap to the bird.

If you use photoshop you can somewhat counterintuitively use Image - Adjustments - Shadow/highlight.

Make sure the Show more options checkmark is selected. Set the shadows and highlight sliders to 0%, and adjust the midtone contrast slider.
01-19-2008, 02:37 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi JC....sorry can not help you. The bird was 'snapped' literally, in a Hong Kong Park, it only landed on the branch for a few seconds before dis appearing in to the back of the aviary, I was fortuneate to have had the camera up looking at something else and was able to snap it.

Thanks Ole, I will try and translate that across to PSP 8 or lightroom....but I follow what your saying.

Cheers
Grant

01-19-2008, 06:02 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Hi Grant, I can't help you with much of your question, but that's a nice picture. What does the picture look like if you cropped a bit off the top and bottom and fill the frame a bit more with the bird?

-George
01-19-2008, 06:05 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I don't have much experience with printing, but that sure is an impressive shot. The colours are simply breathtaking.
01-19-2008, 10:25 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
G'day George,
Hows the family? Thanks for the comment. I have already cropped it quite a bit now, but Yes, I see your point. I will try it but I am probably pushing the 6 mpx. ....wonder how I overcome that! As if I need encouraging George!

Hi FTP.....Thankyou as well. It is a very unusual colour to find on a bird, and it couldn't have picked out the ray of sunshine any better if it had tried....or perhaps it had!
Grant

02-01-2008, 04:38 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Love this work. The colour is rich and mysterious. The black background brings out the stark contrast of the colour in the feather. It glows as well!

That is a well done image I would love to keep