Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-22-2012, 06:50 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Eclipse at Sunset
Lens: Tair 3 300mm F4.5 Preset Camera: K20D Photo Location: Northern Colorado ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/2000s Aperture: F22 

This is one of the photos I took during the Annular Eclipse Sunday. I thought I'd post it here for some critiques about any changes needed, composure, light or dark, etc..

After a final post processs, I think I'll have this large format printed for a wall hanging (possibly on aluminum), so I want to get it right

05-22-2012, 07:16 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
In my opinion, I would get the sun to be properly exposed, so everything else is just a silhouette. That would bring out the beauty in this picture. Here is a ninja quick edit of the file I pulled from Flickr:

Sadly, the edit brought out the compression effects, so try doing it with the raw file you have.
Exposure: -1.00
Curves: Medium Contrast (RGB)
Smart Sharpen: 100%, 0.4 pixels
Otherwise, beautiful shot!
Good Luck!
05-22-2012, 07:49 PM   #3

I think the exposure's right on, but there's a lens flare blob below the sun, in the shadows of the trees. Rather small.

Also, with the K20D, you should be careful about pushing the deepest shadows -- the noise pattern of the sensor is not the nicest and if you print it on something that can resolve that kind of detail, it may bother you.

Other than that, I think it's great!
05-23-2012, 11:26 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I agree with tackyat.2. The image is nice as it is. I'd probably play with cropping a bit to tighten up the image just a little (a little from the left, bottom, top) to see if there is any improvement to be had there, but I kind of like the composition as it is. I just tend to obsess with minute cropping details when I work with my own photos.

I agree that the small lens flare spot that shows up in the tree/shrub under the sun is a bit distracting, and there is a small flare spot directly to the right of the sun underneath the upper branch of the large tree that is a bit distracting.

05-23-2012, 10:26 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congratulations ! You did not miss this unique opportunity. Have you tried a portrait format, keeping the right part of the image?