Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-25-2012, 03:30 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Lightning
ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: Above 6s 

Hello, this is one of my first photos. I own K-r for two weeks or so and never had any camera before. I am very open to critique. And yes, i know about perspective and wryness of the city lamps :-( And maybe i should make some more WB to get less yellow lights from theese lamps and more dramatic lights of the lightning. What do you think?

05-25-2012, 08:47 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm not sure I'd worry too much about the white balance on this shot. The Lightning looks right. The composition could be more interesting, but that's the nature of lightning shots. You don't get much flexibility.

Looking at the EXIF, I see you shot at 18mm, that suggest you have the kit lens. I probably would have zoomed in a bit more to get rid of the street lamps, at least those first two and focus the composition more on the lightning. I also see you are using Lightroom. I'm not sure if you are shooting RAW or not, but either way, you could use some of the lens correction features to straighten up the poles in the image and perhaps level the image a bit. The brick post directly under the lightning and the telephone pole to the left would benefit from being vertical. It is a bit tricky, but it is worth playing with the lens correction features in Lightroom because they are one of the biggest values of using LR.

Overall, nice shot, and welcome to the forums. I'm impressed at the sharpness of your 30 second exposure. The exposure is pretty much right on, so good job.
05-25-2012, 03:40 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thank you very much. Reason why I used 18mm is because area of storm was pretty wide and lightnings hit pretty random, lens correction at lightroom is on and I dont know this program very well. It is just trial, but I will try to do something more with it :-) I made one at 35mm i think. Maybe with better composition, but i have problems to upload it. Dont know why. So thank you and next time I will try to use your advices :-)
05-25-2012, 10:19 PM   #4

What camera did you use, and aperture setting? I live in a small community, (7,000 people) and getting away from street lighting is easy. I told some people I wanted to set up inside of my truck bed, (covered), with a tripod, and try shooting lightning, they thought I was NUTS. Anyway, I like the lightning aspect of your image.

05-26-2012, 02:01 PM   #5

Original Poster
:-D I have Pentax K-R, F9, ISO 100.Thank you.
05-26-2012, 05:59 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice shot, I would just crop the lights out.