Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-19-2012, 08:54 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Reluctant model
Lens: 18-135 Camera: k5 ISO: 80 Shutter Speed: 1/6s Aperture: F4.5 

How did I do ? this is not my area but wouldn't mind doing a bit more.

Using my Grand daughter as a model never goes down well but " I was taking too long" as well !!!!!
I had made a light box of sorts powered by an old flash and was playing with various placements in accociation with a second old flash with a very old nissin synchro eye. I dont have any triggers or any other means of fireing the box so was using the test button to fire after activating the shutter.

[IMG] [/IMG]

Last edited by grw46; 06-19-2012 at 09:31 PM.
06-19-2012, 09:37 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Light source is too low which makes odd shadows.
Hair blends into the background.
Jacket logo distracting.
Cropped a bit tight.
06-19-2012, 10:02 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Overall not to bad pic taking into consideration it is not a Pro setup!.
06-20-2012, 05:48 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Light source is too low which makes odd shadows.
Hair blends into the background.
Jacket logo distracting.
Cropped a bit tight.
Hi

Most of the times you are pretty right with your comments, but this time I think you are a bit harsh with your criticism. So I feel compelled to come to the rescue. In my opinion there is absolutely nothing wrong with this take but most of all I can't agree with your dislike of the shadow placement. The shadows are soft and pleasing and in this case I don't think it matters much where the light is coming from.

The hair ? - Yes and no. I can live with it the way it is. Nevertheless I can see your point and a slight adjustment (easily done in PP) can give the picture a little bit of depth in this part of the image. I used Nik Viveza to "tickle" this area a bit by using a control point over it for a little lightness.

I must agree though, the logo is ill placed. But since it is so high up on the jacket it was always going to invade the picture. The only way it could have been avoided would have meant a change of attire. Unfortunately, and I speak from own experience, it is easily overlooked at the time and it takes a keen eye and lots of recalls of previous such mistakes to avoid this.

Luckily however in this case here it is very easily cloned out. Truly only a 30 second job. If you like, experiment a bit with different crops just to see for yourself if a different crop is more appealing to you. Perhaps even get your grand daughter involved. I guess in the end it is your family that matters.

I really think it is a lovely picture.

Greetings

Last edited by Schraubstock; 09-16-2012 at 05:36 PM.
06-20-2012, 06:19 AM   #5
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Her pose is uncomfortably unengaging, which doesn't work for me. There are look-away poses that do work, but this one is neither here nor there, and her reluctance makes her portrait less interesting.
The hair may not be salon-perfect, but as a candid it doesn't greatly distract me. Perhaps the choice of hair styling is not well-suited to portraiture, but that's another topic.
06-20-2012, 02:34 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thank you all for taking the time
Ash She was watching me and I was on the end of the remote well away from the camera and shes a teen what more can I say!!.
Schraubstock Your comments and suggestions are much appreciated .Your edit shows what I can learn to do.
SpecialK I went back to the original and did a rework and will try again with a higher lite placement If I can get her to cooperate
Bezuidar Cheers
06-20-2012, 09:43 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Hi

The teenagers gaze is just about right to my understanding of such imagery, taking into account it was probably by accident rather than design.

Eye positioning in portraits:

If one positions the eyes of the portrait subject such so they seem to look at something other than the camera you will create a desire for viewers of the picture to see or identify what it is they are looking at. You can now decide to show what this is, in which case it will create a focal point. This focal point then can compete with the portrait subject in a negative way if it is not skillfully executed. This is a very tricky undertaking and takes a lot of practice and understanding to get it right.

If the subjects gaze is such that he/she looks clearly outside the frame, it either creates a feeling of intrigue or annoyance. If a viewer feels intrigued or has a strong desire to speculate what it might be the subject is looking at then it can add to the worth of the image. In other words it makes for a strong desire to look at the picture again and again and for longer and the picture will be remembered. (Any artist's greatest desire). The old portrait masters knew this trick very well. To get it right, and there is very little margin for error, this technique can either make a picture or totally destroy it.

Of course people trained in the field of visual arts will see and interpret a picture differently from those of the general population. This is not to say one view is better than the other but this simply means there is a challenge for the creating artist to come up with an image that both camps can live with.

Here in Australia we have The "Annual Archibald" portrait competition and it is interesting to see that the judges often differ from the general population in their final judgment. The "Peoples choice" or the "Packer Room Price" selections are also displayed in comparison to the official judges selection, which is always very interesting.

Archibald Prize - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Greetings