Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-20-2012, 08:33 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pylons
Lens: SMC-A 50mm f1.7 Camera: K5 Photo Location: Canterbury, UK ISO: 800 Shutter Speed: 1/60s Aperture: F16 

Looking for composition and PP feedback. Ta.

06-22-2012, 05:42 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

I like the concept -- natural forms reflecting the manmade, and vice versa. Silhouette a good choice for emphasizing this. The bushes/trees on the skyline really clutter it up, though. I think #1 is more successful, with the way the grass seed heads match the angle and overall shape of those angled things on the pylons. I'd like to see a composition focused just on that contrast/reflection, containing only those elements and more closely matched in size. Of course that might not be possible; would require finding suitable grass closer to the pylons so that you can shoot at a higher angle to get rid of the trees.
06-22-2012, 07:04 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
I like the concept -- natural forms reflecting the manmade, and vice versa. Silhouette a good choice for emphasizing this. The bushes/trees on the skyline really clutter it up, though. I think #1 is more successful, with the way the grass seed heads match the angle and overall shape of those angled things on the pylons. I'd like to see a composition focused just on that contrast/reflection, containing only those elements and more closely matched in size. Of course that might not be possible; would require finding suitable grass closer to the pylons so that you can shoot at a higher angle to get rid of the trees.

Thanks for your comments. I agree - however there's a pond in the way... Maybe I should just wade in and suffer for my are a bit more!
06-22-2012, 08:49 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeztastic Quote
Thanks for your comments. I agree - however there's a pond in the way... Maybe I should just wade in and suffer for my are a bit more!
Ha ha, that reminds me of comments my parents used to mention from their camera club competition days. Someone's photo would earn a judges' comment that they should have moved back 10 feet or something, & it was the edge of a cliff or there was a building in the way...
I also think #1 is better because the lines are cleaner & more is in focus. All the elements go together better whereas in #2 one might wonder which is the subject of the photo, the in-focus weeds or the out-of-focus pylon, since they are a similar size.
Even though the pylon lines are going down, the big grass stem & the cloud streaks carry the eye up & to the right & suggests lifting off into the sky, whereas in #2 your eye just kinda bounces back & forth between weeds & pylon.
I prefer the lighter, finer silhouette lines in #1 to the heavier shapes in #2.