Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-20-2012, 10:04 AM   #1

Quiet Summer Portraits
Camera: K-r Photo Location: University of Toronto 

Hello everyone!

I'm still fairly new at doing portraits but here are my latest attempts. Any comments would be very helpful!

Also, if anyone has tips for working with models, especially those without much experience, it would be much appreciated too.

06-20-2012, 12:41 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I find the first two images a bit flat in a sense that there do not seem to be any angle: the bench and the background building are strictly in a plan in the first image. The model is exactly facing the camera in the second one. The red pole or whatever it is in the background is a real concern in the first image. The dress takes far too much attention in the second image. I would suggest a square format for this one. My favorite is the third one. The model and the background are very nice but each occupies exactly half of the space. I would suggest the following crop to get better proportions in the image.
Attached Images

06-20-2012, 08:59 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
they are very soft natural daylight..this kind light usually look good on girl.
but to my taste, the contrast is low..
I would add more contrast in post
depend on your taste
06-20-2012, 10:11 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Prefer the close up ones. Skin maybe a tint to bright, otherwise not to bad!

06-20-2012, 10:29 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi

A bit of powder to take the shine off the nose and above upper lip.
07-02-2012, 01:41 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Hi!
I like all of them, especially the first and the third.
For the second one, my advice is to set the model exactly in the middle of the bow of the building, just for composition,
Considering the first and the third, I see that the focus point is wrong: in the first is the bench on focus, not the face of the girl (that should be); in the third, what is not on focus is the eye: try adding some local contrast, as liukaitc suggest, in particular on the pupil and on eyelashes. This usually makes the difference.
P.S. now I'm looking better.. Maybe the lack of detail is given by the strong smooth filter on the skin: did you apply it?
Except of those little things, your works are very nice for me!!
Gabriel
07-02-2012, 03:13 PM   #7
Veteran Member

She is a cute model.
Much less depth of field in #1... the building really distracts, even if you could get rid of the red things. My eye keeps going to the doorway on the left. It competes with her. The bench is a wee bit lower on the left side. I like the idea though.
I like # 2 & 3 with the cropping.
07-05-2012, 03:28 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
the only critique I can give is the top photo.... the red object behind the subject near the building attracts my eye before the main subject.
otherwise great shots, in particular the last one.

randy

07-11-2012, 06:25 AM   #9

regarding the first picture:
red object as already mentioned above and color fringing (it becomes noticeable from 1600x1063 and upwards, it depends on the lens though but that's not a big issue).
you cut off part of her shoe/feet and the picture is not perfectly horizontal. Those two are just minor issues though.