Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2012, 01:57 PM   #1

Engine Bay
Lens: Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 Camera: K-r Photo Location: CT, USA ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/1500s Aperture: F2.8 

Having just purchased the Tamron, I did not have much time to practice with it but I think I did OK with it considering. This photo and the others in this set were taken 2 weeks ago at a large Subaru automotive enthusiast event in CT. My focus was a lil off. I was trying to get the turbo in focus but it is more focused on the headlight. A fun event and much needed experience nonetheless. Comments welcome. Thanks [More here: Flickr]

Last edited by jaywes; 03-08-2015 at 06:03 PM.
06-22-2012, 02:24 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Shot at f2.8 I see try shooting at f8 this will give you a greater depth of field.
06-22-2012, 08:37 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Engines have many possibilities for abstracty photos. I like the colour combination of sort of monochrome with the gold.
Definitely use more depth of field; preview DOF before shooting to see what's in focus & if you like it. If you are going for the engine, moving around to the front of the car & shooting straight into it might help your DOF because you will be better lined up with it, & will also allow you to frame it to eliminate background, as in the top right corner.
06-22-2012, 08:56 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by snappychappy Quote
Shot at f2.8 I see try shooting at f8 this will give you a greater depth of field.
Yeah, I see.

QuoteOriginally posted by Alliecat Quote
Engines have many possibilities for abstracty photos. I like the colour combination of sort of monochrome with the gold.
Definitely use more depth of field; preview DOF before shooting to see what's in focus & if you like it. If you are going for the engine, moving around to the front of the car & shooting straight into it might help your DOF because you will be better lined up with it, & will also allow you to frame it to eliminate background, as in the top right corner.
Ok, that makes sense.

06-27-2012, 06:23 AM   #5
ASa

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Had you nailed the focus to the turbine wheel, this one would've been on another level! At least to me.
So now I'm just going to say that it's a good idea, but the execution could have been better. I don't think you need to have everything in focus when shooting this kind of detailed/abstract environment.
06-27-2012, 06:36 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ASa Quote
Had you nailed the focus to the turbine wheel, this one would've been on another level! At least to me.
So now I'm just going to say that it's a good idea, but the execution could have been better. I don't think you need to have everything in focus when shooting this kind of detailed/abstract environment.
= learning experience. I have to agree with you largely. I really like this shot as it is, but I think I woulda loved it had I nailed it!
06-27-2012, 04:33 PM   #7
smf
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I enjoyed looking at the photos at the Flickr site.
People interested in photographing cars might want to look at James Mann's book "How to Photograph Cars," originally published in 2002. ISBN 0-7603-1243-5
The book's original cost was approximately $20.
06-27-2012, 05:38 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Should be titled 'headlight'

06-27-2012, 06:55 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by smf Quote
I enjoyed looking at the photos at the Flickr site.
People interested in photographing cars might want to look at James Mann's book "How to Photograph Cars," originally published in 2002. ISBN 0-7603-1243-5
The book's original cost was approximately $20.
Thanks I'll look into that book. I may have seen it.. As I've been looking into alot of automotive photography techniques. Thanks again.
06-28-2012, 02:47 AM   #10
Banned

I'd have liked to see the engine in sharp focus.

There's a conflict between the framing and what's in focus. It looks like it's framed for the engine, but the headlight and front end is in focus and not framed as the subject.