Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-28-2012, 08:53 AM   #1

Sphinx

Hi, this is my first post here. I've just spotted this guy I do like this shot, but would like to know your opinion about it.

06-28-2012, 04:03 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey, Grand! I like it too. The colour seems to be perfect, which means to me that the exposure is right on. I would not change a thing!
06-28-2012, 05:14 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Maybe a touch more depth of field to get the ears in focus. (I tend to like things in focus except for out of focus backgrounds)

However, it's excellent regardless and a lovely photo. Definitely the right title for the post and the photo.

I wonder what the cat was thinking about at that moment. Maybe along the lines of "If I ignore him he'll take himself and that camera away from me."

Well done.
06-28-2012, 09:00 PM   #4
Veteran Member

He's cute. I seem to recall an old camera club judges' rule that subjects with a front & back, or things that are moving, should face (or be moving) left to right, to lead the eye across the picture in the direction you would read*. You could try flipping the pic & see how you like him facing the other way. You've left lots of 'lead space' in front of his nose which is good. And his eye & nose look sharp.

(* which leads me to wonder, what the camera club judges would say in countries where they read right to left. Is there an opposite rule for composition there??)

Meow. We likes cat pics...
Welcome, by the way!

Last edited by Alliecat; 06-28-2012 at 09:13 PM.
06-28-2012, 11:07 PM   #5

The only one intervention i would made is crop on squares format.
06-29-2012, 06:48 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks , I've told him you like him, and he said "MEOOOOOOW"
Symbio, you said that I should crop the photo, I've got a question about it. When cropping a photo (any photo) should I use any specific format or just crop it however i like just to make it look good?

2. The Cat says Thanks

Last edited by Grand Moff Tarkin; 06-29-2012 at 08:35 AM.
06-29-2012, 09:29 AM   #7

Hey Grand,

you can crop the phot as you will. It's only recommendation use an aspect ratio.
Mostly used are 1:1, 1:2, 1:3, 2:3, 3:4 or any panorama format, but not for this one.
#2 is cool moment. I greet him too.
06-29-2012, 09:34 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks I'll let you know when Sphinx will speak again

06-29-2012, 02:18 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Awww... #2 is really cute too, & the shadow in the background is nicely aligned with him so the lighter bit is not right behind him, in which case he'd blend into it. The shadow part makes him stand out better. You could lose a bit of that light area on the left... yes, just crop it till you like the effect, keeping in mind that you don't crowd your subject (making the edges of the photo too close), cut off important bits, or things like that...
06-30-2012, 04:06 AM   #10
smf
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome. That's a nice first photo. (The pleasant second photo would benefit from sharper focus on the eyes.)

In the first photo, perhaps you should darken the white area which is both under and slightly in front of the ear in the foreground.

I'm not bothered by lack of sharpness of the ear in the background.

I'd crop at least slightly from the left.

If you post additional photos, you might want to include information on lens choice, shutter speed, aperture, ISO, use or absence of a tripod or other support, and any other information you think might improve the usefulness of comments and suggestions.

Best wishes.
06-30-2012, 08:33 AM   #11

Original Poster
Hi smf, thanks for your opinion. You're right, I forgot to include EXIF data. Will remember about it when posting new pictures. Above pictures where taken with my K200D, DA18-55 kit lens, f/6.7, 1/60 sec, ISO 400, metering mode - center weighted, no tripod, built in flash fired, auto white balance.

QuoteOriginally posted by smf Quote
The pleasant second photo would benefit from sharper focus on the eyes.
Yes, I know, I'm still trying to improve my focusing. I've got a few fantastic pictures which I can't use because of bad focusing. I'm working hard on it.

I'm happy that you like the pictures anyway. This is motivating