Thanks for looking.
Rob

07-06-2012, 11:17 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rwfarnell Quote
Is the filtered one too much?
Too much for realism? Yes, unless your viewers are severely colorblind. Too much? A matter of taste, of course, and what kind of effect on the viewer you're after. One might say it doesn't go far enough -- with the sky such an unbelievable red, the lower half of the picture seems much too tame.
07-06-2012, 11:49 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks,
I’m not sure what I was after. I was wanting a more dramaticsunset than the one that happened that evening. I was not happy with my resultsso I tried a filter that was in one of my programs (for the first time) andthat was a version I kinda liked.
07-06-2012, 03:40 PM   #4
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
My personal opinion, the red is WAY too red. In post processing you could try a grad filter to soften the red and perhaps make it more dramatic without frightening the bejesus out of me. That's just my personal opinion and note that I'm not a pro.

07-06-2012, 06:55 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks I will try not to frighten the bejesus out of anyone in the future
07-07-2012, 08:22 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Yes, really red... a bit eye-hurting... A more subtle grad filter, when you take the shot, not with the computer, might give you a nicely red but not unnatural sky.
This is the kind of shot that is really nicely enhanced with a Singh-Ray Gold-n-Blue polarizer -- or the poor man's version, the Cokin Varicolor blue & yellow, #173. There are also lots of graduated sunset & orange filters that can be had for cheap on ebay.
07-08-2012, 09:49 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks Alliecat I will look in to that :-)

07-29-2012, 07:55 PM   #8
Riv

Photos: Albums
Greetings,

I'm no master at this, but I have working on sunsets all day... I don't know the look your after for sure, but I did play with your top image for a few minutes and came up with something you might like, and you could amp it up a bit more if you wanted.

I use adobe elements 9, but you should be able to do it in most other programs.

After loading the image open the Levels Tool, select the Blue channel and adjust the grey grab point (middle one under the histogram) slide it to the right to .70 repeat for the Green channel.

Then open the Color Variations Tool, click the Highlights radio button and click Increase red 2 times (3 if you want more). Click the Mid-tones radio button and click Darken 1 time.

Open the Shadow/Highlights tool and set Lighten Shadows to 10%, set Mid-tone Contrast to +20%.

You might want to adjust the brightness down just a tad at this point, I'm up in the air on that.

Lastly, based on personal taste and purpose for the image. Crop it little off the top only so the pier is roughly 1/3rd down from the top.

That should leave you something many people will believe to real, and a give you a few ideas if you want to crank it up some more.

Hope it helps
-Glenn

Last edited by Riv; 07-29-2012 at 07:56 PM. Reason: missing words
07-30-2012, 05:29 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks Glenn
I'll give it a try.
07-31-2012, 03:53 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Does not look natural. First one is the way it should be.