Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-07-2012, 07:19 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
B/W or color ?

Hi,

I can't choose between the two versions of this pic

I like the colour version but I find that the eyes get distracted by the yellow flowers in the middle and the pink ones in the upper left. I also like the fact that the people in the OOF area looks like a painting

The B/W version is more "straightforward" but lacks colour (obv), which is sad for a painting. But it's more easy to read.

What do you think ?

Name:  _IGP2834.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  123.5 KB

Name:  _IGP2834 (1).jpg
Views: 341
Size:  118.1 KB

07-07-2012, 07:44 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The B&W, no contest. Even the painting is not primarily about color, so it too works well in B&W. The B&W brings out interesting textures (her clothes) and patterns (the windows, railing, the two palms and their reflection in the painting) whereas the color is mainly distracting.
07-07-2012, 01:04 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
as a variant...
07-08-2012, 03:47 AM   #4
Forum Member

For me the composition just doesn't sit right, I think the issue is actually the depth of field for me. With the in-focus bit to the left, the eye looks right then tries to hunt for detail that's not there because of the depth of field. It looks like you shot practically wide open (even the picture looks slightly out of focus) whereas probably almost closed might have been better.

Remember when you have an image like this, the eye will naturally follow the primary subject's view. 'Looking room' it's called and certainly should be included, and that's why you find yourself looking at the yellow flowers. Your eye is following the painters view.. which IS the flowers.

07-08-2012, 04:23 AM - 1 Like   #5
smf
Pentaxian

It's a moderatrely close call for me between the color version and the B/W version but I prefer the color version. Vasyl's version is quite nice, and I think I prefer it to the B/W version.

In the original color version, I like many aspects of the photograph — not the least of which is the red flowers at left echoing the color of part of the painter's clothing. I like the OOF people (especially above the rail) — and their absence from the painting.

I respect baro-nite's opinion and his detailed reasons. However, we disagree about the importance of the color in the painting. And I think if I had never seen the color version of the photograph, I probably would enjoy but forget the B/W version. The color version, however, is memorable.

Kaiter makes a good point about the primary subject's view. However, I find the composition more successful than Katier does.

I hope you are proud of these images. Good eye! Nice execution. I hope to see more of your photos.

Might you have a series or project in the works — artists at work?

Best wishes.

Last edited by smf; 07-08-2012 at 04:26 AM. Reason: typ and expand
07-08-2012, 05:00 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I agree about the pink flowers, upper left, but don't personally find the yellow ones in the middle detract from the picture.

I don't like the B+W version because the background people have simply turned into a noisy mess; in the colour one you can tell what they are.

One of the issues with the colour picture, IMO, is the vivid colour palette. Hope you don't mind, but I played with saturation and contrast in Lightroom:

Attachment 133964

I wasn't able to do anything the flowers upper left because they're almost exactly the same colour as the woman's dress. You'll need to tone the colour of these down using something that has selection tools and layers.
07-08-2012, 06:17 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by top-quark Quote
I don't like the B+W version because the background people have simply turned into a noisy mess; in the colour one you can tell what they are.
I agree that in color it is immediately obvious that this is a crowd; in the B&W you might have to look twice, depending where you look first. If the goal is to convey a maximum of information then keep the color. Then again, if that is the goal, Katier's point about DOF applies equally well. With respect, I disagree with both these viewpoints. The painter's focus is actually on the painting, and that is the most interesting point of the image because we can see both painting and what she is painting. Notice how she has chosen to portray the crowd in her painting. An image is not only about what you reveal, it is also about what you obscure.

Since this has turned into an impromptu PP challenge here is my entry:

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
07-08-2012, 05:38 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hey, thanks all for your comments, very interesting to have different points of view!

Vasyl > Nice version, I didn't think about it

QuoteOriginally posted by Katier:
Remember when you have an image like this, the eye will naturally follow the primary subject's view. 'Looking room' it's called and certainly should be included, and that's why you find yourself looking at the yellow flowers. Your eye is following the painters view.. which IS the flowers.
Yeah you're right, thanks for the advice. I should have taken multiples shots with different apertures to compare (this one is taken at f4).

smf > thank you, glad that you appreciate the picture.

Artists at work : no I wasn't working on a specific serie until now... I guess you just gave me the idea, hehe

top-quark > I think you have a good point about the vivid colours, it may be one of the reason that the colored version is so much distracting. The raw version is always a bit too dull for my taste, and I guess I have a bad tendency to over-staturate my pictures. I will work on it =)

baronite > thanks for your version, could you tell me what you changed ? It seems a bit darker but it's very subtile
07-08-2012, 09:36 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I like the colors. As mentioned, the background gets confusing in B/W.

Either way, though, I would fix the lean...

Last edited by SpecialK; 07-10-2012 at 06:11 AM.
07-09-2012, 04:13 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NickLarsson Quote
baronite > thanks for your version, could you tell me what you changed ? It seems a bit darker but it's very subtile
A sort of off-center vignette to emphasize painter and painting.
07-15-2012, 07:06 PM   #11
K-9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Neither. They're both too busy.
07-18-2012, 09:15 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Maybe off topic here, but I would have focused on the palm tree? in the painting, and made DoF much shallower. Shift lens works well in this kind of situation, for me at least.
07-18-2012, 09:45 AM   #13
Veteran Member

In color the glaring and very uncomplimentary colors of her clothing completely ruin this shot for me. B&W rescues it totally. With the color gone it's much better.