Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-10-2012, 12:22 AM   #1

Home - Please Feedback Me
Lens: K20D Camera: 35mm Macro Ltd. Photo Location: Japan ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/125s Aperture: F4.5 

Hi, here is another 'Quick Shot With New Lens' that I wanted to get some thoughts on.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
07-10-2012, 01:40 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
Hi,
This is great shot, but this isn't macro....
07-10-2012, 02:09 AM   #3

Original Poster
What makes this not Macro. It is taken with a Pentax-DA 1:2.8 35mm MACRO Limited Lens.... Just because it is not close up does not mean it is not macro, no?
07-10-2012, 02:14 AM   #4

The term "macro photography" is often used to describe any close-up shot.
However, in DSLR photography, it should really only be used to describe a photograph with a 1:1 or higher magnification.
Macro photography is commonly used by still life DSLR photographers to capture small details of objects.

07-10-2012, 03:58 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
So a 1:2 would not be considered as macro?
07-10-2012, 04:05 AM   #6

Everyone can interpret how they want,but the real macro photography is 1:1 or higher magnification...

1:1 is fairly simply, and best explained with a frame of film.

Let's say you set up a wonderful shot of a dime (a 10¢ piece) with a macro lens set to 1:1. You take the shot on a roll of film, have it developed, etc.

If you place that frame of film next to the dime, the image of the dime and the dime itself will be the same size.

What it means is that you're reproducing your subject on the imaging plane (film or sensor) at the same size that it exists in real life.

This is the same on digital, and is NOT affected by crop factor. What it means is that of your subject is, say, 12mmx12mm in size in real life, it will occupy a space of 12mmx12mm on your sensor.

If you're using a lens with "macro" capabilities (as some off-brand zooms are labelled), you're not getting true 1:1 reproduction. Some offer 1:2 (half size) but most are 1:3 or less (third size). What this means is that a subject that is 12x12mm would be 6x6mm or 4x4mm, depending on the lens.
07-10-2012, 05:02 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Beautiful pic. I'd have been inclined to file it under "Nature". There's a macro lens club that you can submit it to, though.

07-10-2012, 06:09 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I would crop off the top just below the shadow line and orange blob at the top right, or at least clone that out. While there is some gray area on what a macro is, this is not it :-) Part of a singe flower would be closer to it.
07-10-2012, 01:26 PM   #9
smf
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's a nice photo. Here's another vote for cloning out the bright oval light. I'd recommend the cropping Special K suggested, but I think that makes the photo slightly too shallow for my taste. If you do crop down, I suggest going far enough to eliminate the white flower that's partially at the shadow line.

Best wishes, and I look forward to seeing more of your photographs.