Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-13-2012, 09:20 PM   #1
Forum Member

Foie Gras with Cherry Gastrique (WIP, critique appreciated)
Lens: DA 40mm ltd Camera: K10D 

A good friend is a professional chef. This is for her portfolio. It's a Foie Gras torchon with croutons, crushed pistachio, and a cherry gastrique. Still a WIP for me. Thoughts and comments much appreciated...

07-13-2012, 10:17 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm not in love with the composition. It makes me want to tilt my head and that, to me, is an undesirable response for food photography.

But what struck me more than anything was the color balance. I think you may need to calibrate your monitor(s) because the version you posted has a significant blue/purple shift. I looked at your flickr feed and noticed several of your latter shots are also shifted similarly.

I took the liberty of downloading this photo and running it through LR3 to adjust temp and color. Here's what I ended up with...
Attached Images

07-13-2012, 10:25 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Venturi, thanks very much. I had my evening colour profile on and forgot to deactivate it. I was wondering why the flash WB was looking strange. .

Thanks for the comments on the composition. I was trying something a little different here. I will think about this more.
07-14-2012, 05:49 AM   #4
Zav
Pentaxian

I am more concerned by the name of the dish than the picture here. What do you intend to mean by "gastrique"?

07-14-2012, 06:07 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
This makes me sad. Foie Gras is banned in my state now. The dish seems out of balance, but it looks beautiful on the plate. I would be happy to try it and be proven wrong.
07-14-2012, 06:19 AM   #6
Pentaxian

If she wishes to cook me me , this, I like, still....... I lke this. well done.

Ovverly cyan , warmer tones would suit more. , still. DoF is perfect, control of light is wonderfuk\l. FOOD, HARD TO COOK, HARDER TO PHOTOGRAPH.

Thanks for sharing
cmohr
07-14-2012, 08:04 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Zav, apparently "gastrique" is a real term for a particular type of reduction... I dislike the way it sounds, but I'm not the chef!

Kenafin, the chef who made this studied in California, and is equally sad

Cmohr, agreed about the warmer tones needed (see above post, colours off because I was processing at night and forgot to shift my colour scheme back). Thanks for the other comments!!

07-14-2012, 08:10 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
Colour corrected version now on my flickr
07-14-2012, 06:52 PM   #9
Zav
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ddekadt Quote
Zav, apparently "gastrique" is a real term for a particular type of reduction... I dislike the way it sounds, but I'm not the chef!
Looks like we learn everyday