Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-15-2012, 02:40 AM   #1

Experimenting with long portraits (Pentax k-x)
Lens: 135 mm Camera: Pentax k-x Photo Location: University of Western Sydney ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/350s Aperture: F2 

Hey guys, I wanted to share my first experience of a photoshoot that I had recently finished with a couple of friends. We chose a convenient location at the university and I came prepared with my equipment which is the pentax k-x, a tripod, the 135mm lens and the 18-55 lens. Majority of the time, I used the prime lens (135 mm, f2.0) during the photoshoot and I actually preferred it to the 18-55 mm lens. I thought that my first photoshoot gave me a wonderful insight into different perspectives and angles with long portraits but I didn't do a lot of variation with the photos. Also, my friends were in a rush since they had other plans that day and I only had one hour to work with them. I learned a lot of things from the photoshoot and I didn't prepare enough with the variations of shots but I made my friends comfortable and relaxed during the photoshoot. I posted the photos on this thread for your review. Please let me know what you think of the photos and I would appreciate any advice or criticism. I look forward to my next photoshoot and I hope to learn from my mistakes for future improvement.Thanks for reading!!!

07-15-2012, 03:47 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No photos showing up here. FYI, you can add photos to one post. You don't need to make separate replies for each photo you want to show.
07-15-2012, 06:59 PM   #3
K-9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The color tones are awkward in the color shots. Too much red in the first two. These shots with normal color would look much better.

Also, watch your backgrounds. You don't want them to take away from the model.
07-16-2012, 02:19 AM   #4
smf
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice work, and welcome to Pentaxforums.
I am not a portrait photographer. However, I suggest you explore more extensive use of reflectors and/or fill flash to avoid or reduce facial shadows in some cases.
In the first photo, it is a shaft of sunlight, not shadow, which could be considered to be a problem.
Best wishes.

07-16-2012, 05:46 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Personally, I like the look longer telephoto lenses provide for portrait work.

I use my Pentax K 200/2.5 on a regular basis for "informal" portraits.

Managed a shot of son Jimmy's guitar recital a while ago

I have no other lens which could have made this shot as well.

Tom G