Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-21-2012, 08:48 PM   #1
Forum Member

Old man - Color & B/W
Lens: Sigma 28-80mm Camera: Pentax K-R Photo Location: Eden, NC ISO: 800 Shutter Speed: 1/500s Aperture: F13.5 

Hi folks, just wanted to get some critiques on how I can make this a stronger photo. Its been retouched in PS and I want any and all feedback. I dont normally do retouching so this is one of my first attempts. I basically cropped as I thought was needed, took the bright colors out of the background, fixed red tints throughout and did some dodge and burn in a few areas. I attached a direct JPG pull from the DNG file as I wasnt sure how to export just the EXIF info to the post.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
07-22-2012, 07:14 PM   #2
Forum Member

Original Poster
bump - in hopes of SOME commentary!
07-24-2012, 04:02 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would try it in B&W, but overall not a bad photo!
to me the smaller version looks better, but like I said black and white in older men can make a dramatic statement
the second photo doesn't show up on my monitor

thanks

randy
07-24-2012, 05:13 AM   #4

Photos: Albums
What you have done looks very nice and you had an excellent idea with turning the background b&w. You might try blurring the background and see what that looks like. The background is a little busy, it takes my eye off the subject.
Good Luck

07-29-2012, 12:03 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I like what you did with the retouched one. I would definitely try B&W, and I would crop it differently too. but overall very nice capture.
07-29-2012, 07:11 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
What would you do differently with the crop?
07-29-2012, 12:58 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well I believe cropping is all about personal preference. They say there are rules like the "rules of 3rd" and other stuff. But like I said I like what you did, and you did an amazing job with your PP.

here my quick attempt on cropping.

I would usually go with the square. I've received a lot of critique before that I need to crop tighter so it will be more personal.

a tighter cropped portrait orientation is good too

sometimes I would also do landscape orientation but since the subject is not really isolated to the background, I would just crop tighter with your photo to avoid distractions.

here's my favorite sample
(Not my photo, this is from danny santos II)

But like I said it's all about your personal preference, all about what you like (: (Unless you're being payed to take pictures.)