Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
07-29-2012, 06:08 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Waterfront Real Estate Photography
Lens: 10-20mm Sigma Camera: Pentax K-r Photo Location: Chatham, MA ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/2s Aperture: F11 

I have been shooting real estate photography, each photo is a 7 frame HDR these are a few from my last shoot, just looking to improve on technique and in any way possible Thanks.

Attached Images

07-29-2012, 08:34 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Morning,

There is a lot to like about the set, you have provided. Several of the shots are at a mid level rather than eye level, and that does draw the viewer into the room as if they are sitting down. The colors are nice, and you can see the outside through the windows to an extent, however they are a bit washed out. The views would be a large selling point for the property - it is a beach house.

The one thing - and it just may be me is that there seems to be an "overcast" or haze to the images. I think some contrast adjustments would help. I think this is due to the heavy sunlight through the windows, but with 7 frames of bracketing, that should be mitigated to a very large extent. I would think that the window views would be a bit more crisp and compelling.

Is there a reason for the 7 frames and not 5? What software did you use for the tone mapping? Just wondering?

07-29-2012, 09:38 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
The reason for the 7 was the extreme contrast as the rooms were very dim even with the bright sunlight, the programs for editing were photomatix pro cs6 and elements, I also used a circular polarizer to diffuse the glare. I see what you mean about the outside contrast, let me see what I can do with that as it would make a difference
07-29-2012, 10:58 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have gotten so comfortable with the 5 frame brackets with the K5 using the +/- 2 ev that with the sensor, it picks up just about all the dynamic range available.

There is another (there is always another) HDR/tone mapping software utility - Oloneo PhotoEngine. It has a free 30 day trial that you may be interested in.One aspect of this program is the ability to take several sets, each set with different light sources on, and then blend each set together. For instance, you might shoot a 5 frame brackets with just window light, and then another with lamps on, etc. - and then blend them together. They have a video on doing this.

The nice thing about their 30 day demo, is its not crippled at all.

07-29-2012, 09:15 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

I don't know anything about real estate or HDR photography, but if I were a potential buyer, the photos would definitely capture my attention and make me want this house.
Nice work.

Last edited by Julie; 07-30-2012 at 07:21 AM.
07-30-2012, 06:14 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

The tilting horizons are a bit distracting.
07-30-2012, 07:44 AM - 1 Like   #7
Forum Member

Try to keep straight lines

Architectural photopgraphy is ditinguishied for showing spaces correctly. If you see several architecural photos you will notice straight lines or straight perspectives. On thirs photo is very noticable a bit of curvature in the left side (near the wndow) like it was taken with a fish eye to show more space in the photo. You can do that but when edited try to crop or rotate to show something aligned.

Rest of pictures are great! HDR for interiors is an excelent solution to show exteriors well exposed and not only the withe light.

Good job

07-30-2012, 10:17 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

Nice set. I also take a lot (thousands) of RE photos a year.

The tilting is obvious in some of these (my big problem too) but it's easily corrected.

For me the one thing I'd say to look out for is giving the shots too much of a HDR/Cartoon effect whereby they now begin to look like 'artist's impressions' rather than actual true-to-life depiction's of the property, and thereby less likely to impress or be taken seriously. I'd try to keep these more realistic looking, with subtle HDR effects to show the exterior, whilst maintaining realistic interiors.

Last edited by Frogfish; 07-30-2012 at 08:28 PM.