Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2012, 12:36 PM   #1

Mono Lake Sunset
Lens: 18-135 Camera: K5 Photo Location: Mono Lake ISO: 80 Shutter Speed: 1/2s Aperture: F11 

Tried to get some different perspective compared to the "normal" Mono Lake images. Thoughts?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
08-10-2012, 01:18 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Out standing capture Vit C Mono as I have never seen it. TFS Cliff
08-13-2012, 05:59 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Even with the different perspective, for me this shot is still mainly about the pinnacles. I say that because the sky and clouds, while beautiful, don't have the kind of structure or arresting color that would turn them into the subject -- they remain a very attractive background. I would not hesitate to pump up the contrast on the pinnacles (I suspect you've done some of this already), because at this scale they need a boost to stand out. For the same reason, I'd like just a bit more space at the bottom, enough to see more of the reflections.

Another approach with this particular exposure would be a pano crop -- cut out the top 60-65%. The nearer (top of frame) clouds are interesting, but just not interesting enough to make up for the expanse of blue sky.
08-18-2012, 05:44 AM   #4
smf
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I admire the photo as presented and agree that, because of the large expanse of open sky at upper right, a very shallow presentation as recommended by baro-nite would be extremely impressive.
Best wishes.