Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-11-2012, 11:55 PM   #1

Nature study
Lens: 50mm Camera: K20D ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/500s 

Sometimes I don't know what to think of my own work. I took this offhandedly when I was shooting an entirely different subject. All impressions are welcome and educational.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
08-12-2012, 04:13 AM   #2
smf
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to Pentaxforums, and thanks for posting the nice photo. The following comments are highly subjective.

I'd prefer greater sharpness and contrast of the vegetation tips against the background. If you sought an overall dreamy look, fine. Otherwise, a smaller aperture's greater depth of field could have served you well. (I didn't see the aperture in the EXIF data.)

If you like the interplay of the very pale yellow green with the color of the background, great. Otherwise, you might try experimenting with some color shifting by using software.

My eye goes to the very dark area at upper left. If you consider that to be an issue, you might crop from the left.

Best wishes, and I hope to see more of your photos.

Last edited by smf; 08-15-2012 at 04:34 AM. Reason: typo
08-12-2012, 09:18 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hello and welcome.
My impressions of the photo. I think there should be more dof. There are too many leaves that are out of focus and the eye just jumps around looking for something sharp to focus on, there are sharp details scattered about but without a pattern or something compelling to linger on. I find the greens rather bright and electric. I haven't seen yucca leaves that colour before at least any I have seen in gardens here, they are a deeper more muted green. In a situation like this the viewer is left to wonder what was the intent of the photographer. What attracted you to the leaves. If it was the sharp verticals against the out of focus background I think they should all be in focus. If it was the way the edges peel off and curl I think you should have moved in closer to isolate them. Just a couple of observations for what they're worth.
Regards
Greg