Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-29-2008, 04:06 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Are these nice to others, or just me?

As a beginner, I'm not sure if these are any good. I like them myself, but I would like to know what more experienced photographers think. The first one might need some cropping to get rid of the branches in lower left corner, and the second might be too dark in the gate part.

01-29-2008, 04:23 PM   #2
Inactive Account

I like the first, though i'd reduce the exposure of the tree trunks, i think....could be the contrast on this monitor.

Perhaps in the second you could have made more of a feature of the sign.....one tip I've found that makes all the difference to composition is to imagine a naughts and crosses grid draw on the image. Place the subject where the lines cross as this is where your eyes tend to end up and us humans like things given to us on a plate.
01-29-2008, 05:04 PM   #3
Veteran Member

For us photo hobbiests, it really matters if you like them. It sounds like you do There are so many photographic styles out that not everyone's going agree if a picture is "nice" or not. So I just want to mention that before I throw in my observations.

Ok, here goes. The colors are fairly bland for me and the subject matter is a bit confusing. What made you like these pictures? Whether it be the lines of the trees or the colors found in nature, you should emphasize those things and minimize distracting elements in these types of shots.
01-30-2008, 01:06 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for nice answers. I agree that especially the last pic is very untidy with disturbing bushes. Also I will try shooting the gate in different ways (as soon as it stops raining).

Great place for a beginner to get some pointers, I need a lot of those!

01-30-2008, 01:20 PM   #5
Veteran Member

i am a brutal critic.. be warned

to my eyes these photos lack sharpness, they are very soft, either due to lens choice or too low (or too high) of an aperture.

also the 2nd shot has its skyline overexposed (this is a problem when shooting dark images on a clear bright day with sky in the background)

and the colours are also a bit bland, i would use more saturation, at least for the greens.
01-31-2008, 12:42 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I agree with Gooshin, sharpness is lacking.
Your subject attempt is good but I think just a bit too much in the photo (No2).
Try and make your main subject the highlight, to grab viewers attention, everything else is subsidiary or supporting that main highlight.
Hang in there and you will be surprised how it will come together for you.
01-31-2008, 01:19 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bramela Quote
I agree with Gooshin, sharpness is lacking.
Your subject attempt is good but I think just a bit too much in the photo (No2).
Try and make your main subject the highlight, to grab viewers attention, everything else is subsidiary or supporting that main highlight.
Hang in there and you will be surprised how it will come together for you.
I think the lack of sharpness is related to downsizing the image for posting. When I applied some Unsharp Mask, the detail popped.

I do agree on the saturation.

Tim
02-01-2008, 05:03 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Personally I think the first shot would look good with B+W. This colour version has a lot of yellow hue there. Once the B+W conversion is done, the shot is unfortunately seen too often in galleries on line. I had quite a lot of images looking like this.

The 2nd one lacks a theme. If I saw the same thing as you saw, I would go for revealing the texture of the rusty sign with the tree marks revealing some complimentary texture.