Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-23-2012, 07:07 PM   #1

Macro Suggestions
Lens: FA 50 2.8 Macro Camera: K20d Photo Location: Yard ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/60s Aperture: F9.5 

Trying out macro with a newly acquired FA50 Macro. Used on board flash. Let me know how I can improve.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
08-23-2012, 07:58 PM   #2
Ari
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's a nice shot. My only suggestion is to forego the flash. Are you using a tripod? I'd be nervous about bumping up the ISO too much (I have never been a big fan of high ISO performance with my k20) but a good support and a relatively inexpensive wireless shutter release (like this one here:Pentax Remote Control F 37377 B&H Photo Video) should give you good results. It will also allow you to open up the aperture a bit and use a shorter shutter speed. Of course, with non-buzzing subjects, you can use a smaller aperture and longer shutter time.
08-25-2012, 11:08 AM   #3
Veteran Member

yeah, I would go tripod, shutter release (wither wireless or cable), and ditch the on-board flash if you can go with an off-camera flash. For those moving subjects, it might be hard to lose flash altogether. IF you can't get flash off the camera, try diffusing the don-board flash so you don't get as much of the highlights. It isn't bad...I think I am just feeling that the flash is just a little harsh. Still, pretty good for starting out with macro!
08-25-2012, 12:03 PM   #4

Great capture.I don't attempt to use a tripod for this kind of shot as the subject will be gone before the setup

08-25-2012, 02:03 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
I like the photo a lot. Some of the specular reflections due to the direct flash might be toned down a bit by putting a Kleenex over the flash to act as a diffuser - or a real diffuser..
08-29-2012, 05:19 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for the compliments and suggestions! I was not using a tripod, as I was always missing opportunities by the time I got the camera positioned and focused when I tried that. This shot was taken at dusk in a shaded area, so the light was not great. I will definitely try the diffuser technique or no flash in the future.

Thanks again,
Bret
08-29-2012, 07:11 AM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Tripod and no flash for insect macro is going to test your patience. Your shot looks quite good for on-board flash. At macro working distances, though, you get very noticeable light falloff with most of the light at the top of the frame (because at such a close distance, the pop-up flash is pointing well above the center of the frame, and also possibly because the lens is blocking light from reaching the lower part of the frame). The Interfit diffuser makes for a pretty decent macro diffuser for the on-board flash. It's better than putting something directly over the flash, because the Interfit goes on the front of the lens and hence becomes a very large (relatively speaking) light source for macro subjects.

08-29-2012, 09:49 AM   #8

Good idea,didn't know this product
09-12-2012, 10:09 PM   #9
Veteran Member

With a toilet paper roll, I have cut off one end on a diagonal. Line the roll with aluminum foil, add some white material over the end (Handkerchief would do it). Strap the back onto the pop-up flash and adjust length as needed. Works quite well!