Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-27-2012, 06:59 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Cliffs of Moher, Ireland
Lens: DA 10-17; Tamron 28-75 Camera: K-7 Photo Location: Cliffs of Moher, Ireland ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/350s Aperture: F8 

Hello everyone,

I haven't been so active on this forum since I got my Pentax K-7 (two years ago), mostly because I never find time. But well, I took some time there to upload a series of pictures taken in my trip to Ireland. The cliffs of Moher are probably one of the most popular landscape there, and I guess it's really hard to get 'really' good pictures of them since they are often in the mist. So while the original pictures were not all that great, I decided to use some HDR device, or some contrast-strenghtening so that my pics could be a bit better, Could you tell me which one you like and which one you do not like? What could I have done better etc...

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
 Photo 
View Picture EXIF
 Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
08-27-2012, 11:07 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hello
Looks like an interesting place. I personally like the last one best. It shows the heavy mist and ruggedness and the framing and elements leads your eye through the image. The small silhouettes of people on the distant hill add interest and a sense of scale. I find it a little too dark personally and have made some changes. Hope you don't mind. I brightened it some , played with contrast and dodged and burned a bit. The rework has added more colour noise because of the bit depth of the jpeg and things always look different when uploaded here than they do in photoshop for some reason but it gives you the idea.
Cheers
Attached Images

08-28-2012, 12:44 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi

I weigh in with yet another suggestion just to stimulate the senses, nothing more. Tweaked it in OLONEO.

Greetings

Last edited by Schraubstock; 09-16-2012 at 05:36 PM.
08-28-2012, 03:22 AM   #4

Original Poster
thanks guys for your advice. I'll try to reproduce what you did on the original RAW. However, I don't think there is a dodge tool on Lightroom (which is what I'm using).
I sensed this last picture was the best, exactly thanks to these people in the mist on the right. Also, the 10-17's distortion is hardly visible at all (as oppososed to some of the other pics where it might be a problem)

08-28-2012, 06:21 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Hello
Lightroom has the adjustment brush in the develop module. Select it and in the box below it you will see custom with little up and down arrows next to it. Click that and you will see a number of adjustments you can make including burn and dodge. It will start with a pre-set which is pretty low but you can adjust the amount with the sliders. You can also adjust the clarity, colour, brightness, saturation etc. on areas in the photo. The nice thing about lightroom is that it's non destructive and you can go back and rework what you did or reset it and start over from scratch as it hasn't touched your original. The other nice thing is you can save different versions as a virtual copies if you aren't sure which you like and compare them side by side. Glad to see you are shooting in RAW so you have all the image data to work with as opposed to jpeg where you have thrown most of it away.
Cheers
08-28-2012, 06:32 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Hello again
Just remembered, you said something about the distortion of the fisheye lens. It's a fun lens and quite versatile (I have one too). If you go to the develop module and scroll down to lens corrections you can click "enable profile corrections" which will automatically correct CA and some distortions of any lens listed. If it's not enough or not listed you can manually change what is listed there to your personal taste.
Cheers
08-30-2012, 06:05 AM   #7

Original Poster
I see what you mean. I indeed already used the brush to lessen the clarity to its minimum, so that the drops on rain on the glass would be invisible (some are still present, but I did what I could with the brush and the (Q) module (I have no idea how it's called in English, my LR is in french). Anyway, I adjusted the darks and added some luminosity to the picture and posted it on Flickr. I don't think it looks exactly like yours, I didn't want the picture to be too luminous anyway, since it "was" a dark day and I didn't want the clouds to be white (I "recovered" all the greys, thanks Lightroom again).

About the distortion correction, I sometimes use it, but when the pics are taken at 10mm or 12, you really have to crop the borders a LOT so it'd look nice. So I generally try to avoid this.

What about the other pics? I guess the first one is a bit too much like a vacation picture, however I quite liked the texture of the rocks of the cliffs (for the second picture) and thought it'd look nice when batched on Photomatix. What would you criticize? I guess the real problem I see is that there is no real opening of the cliffs (the corner on the top left looks a bit empty).

Also, I figured the third picture is just not showing anything interesting really.
08-30-2012, 06:16 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Hi

I weigh in with yet another suggestion just to stimulate the senses, nothing more. Tweaked it in OLONEO.

Greetings
I just realized that the rain drops are completely absent from your picture. So that's a bit frustrating to me not coming to terms with them while your software seems to have done quite well to soften the clouds :/.

08-30-2012, 09:33 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by volthord Quote
I just realized that the rain drops are completely absent from your picture. So that's a bit frustrating to me not coming to terms with them while your software seems to have done quite well to soften the clouds :/.
Hi

Don't get frustrated, photography is not worth it

I did not know they were raindrops as these highly reduced JPGs can do terrible things to pics sometimes. I just put the image through Topaz DeNoise and after applied a bit of sharpening in FocalBlade. That seems to have done it.

Greetings
09-01-2012, 04:09 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like the latter ones a lot, but the one with the person in the bright yellow jacket.. well, I would like to see either more of the person or not at all
Technically the shots are nice, though
« Carrera 4s | Horses »